Cambridge Audio A1 MK3 SE repair (TDA1514 chips burned) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 10:07 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you're absolutely right, I was too quick to comment. Found them at a local supplier for a little under 1 a piece.

Any idea about the problems with the circuit. It seems as though these regulators and the TDA1514A:s where the original broken parts before I replaced anything. The capacitor blow surprised me last night, I should have got the polarity right from the markings on the board (the other caps where mounted the same way).
Old 30th May 2012, 03:44 PM   #22
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

if the capacitors that popped were on the output side of the regulators, its possible the regulators have failed short circuit and so the capacitors got the full voltage across them. Bad news if so - that will have toasted the opamp chips.

I've now seen pictures of the inside of this amp. Ugh. I would say, save yourself a lot of hassle - use the case and transformer, and build your own amp in there. A Gainclone would fit nicely, and most likely sound better.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:20 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
if the capacitors that popped were on the output side of the regulators, its possible the regulators have failed short circuit and so the capacitors got the full voltage across them. Bad news if so - that will have toasted the opamp chips.

The caps where on the power amp board, you can see them in the picture of the board.

I've now seen pictures of the inside of this amp. Ugh. I would say, save yourself a lot of hassle - use the case and transformer, and build your own amp in there. A Gainclone would fit nicely, and most likely sound better.
Yep, it's a simple amp indeed and I look at this positively anyways. The case and transformer and pots etc. where all free and get new use anyhow. It would be nice to just get this thing working, but I'll won't rob a bank to do it

Maybe I'll buy the transistors and see if this could work. If not, I'll look at the Gainclone closer.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:59 PM   #24
bvk is offline bvk
diyAudio Member

I have a cambridge audio A1 Mk 3.
It has a problem with the "Bass" and Treble- they have no effect!
Otherwise it is excellent.(also got CD unit)
I have not have the lid off yet-it was being thrown away!
Anyone got a circuit diagram?
barrie@kissack.org.uk

I will be able to repair if components are available
Old 25th September 2012, 11:16 AM   #25
RS232 is offline RS232  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just got one A1mk3 with a toasted transformer...
Can someone please tell me the voltage on the secondary of the tranny because it can not be 28/0/28 because there are no regulator for the opamps in the preamp.
The datasheet of the TDA1514A gives a max supply voltage of +/-30Vdc so the 28/0/28Vac would be way over the limit.
And the opamps (TL072) have a max supply of +/-18V
I would shoot at a 28 or 30VDC for the power supply with a 20/0/20 or 22/0/22 transformer.

Ric

Last edited by RS232; 25th September 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 26th September 2012, 11:23 PM   #26
RS232 is offline RS232  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Replaced the transformer with one I have here in my parts bin and now is working fine.
I have now rails with +/-26VDC
Went up from 120 to 160VA.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:17 PM   #27
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Very old thread but, tda1514 have been my favorite chipamp for years

Hide this!Advertise here!