Aragon 24K sp PreAmp by Mondial Designs, possiblity for component/wiring upgrades? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Aragon 24K sp PreAmp by Mondial Designs, possiblity for component/wiring upgrades?

After upgrading a pair of old QUAD 405mk2`s to mk3 circuitboard and monobloc conversion with good help from WWW.net-audio.co.uk so my good old B&W 804 matrix series could get sufficient good quality power, they were new in 1996. Then I got my hands on an Aragon 24K sp pre amp by chance, for next to nothing. I remembered having seen the Aragon series back in the 90`s, but as I understand they went out of production in 2001.
I noticed that someone had chopped my Aragon 24k sp for ALL connectors/terminals/input/output RCA plugs and more on the backside of the chassis. It was empty except from something similar to one XLR plug,
that I later found out was for the EXTERNAL power-supply.
I opened the chassis to look at the damages,
there`s lots of space inside that huge chassis.
For every line in or out from the circuit-board there`s a pair of thin wires sticking out, close to where they must`ve been connected to the RCA/phono-female sockets/abductees.
I don`t know yet if they`re long enough to solder on to the new RCA terminals I have ordered, so maybe rewiring is a necessity.
Since I just have had the QUAD 405`s totally reinvented with new capacitors, op-amps from Burr-Brown, wiring and Mono PSU I started thinking [help=WHAT IF anyone outhere had experience in upgrading, modifying anything inside the Aragon 24K?][/help]
I`m also out of reach for the original power-supply that came in an external chassis with some 20-30cm wiring to keep it away from the main chassis, I suppose.
[help=Is there anyone that has a hot tip on how I could get my hands on something similar to the PSU? Schematics for the Aragon24K pre-amp and perhaps he power-supply? a DIY or semi-fabricated somehow in best possible state for audio use?
][/help]
Click the image to open in full size.
I started thinking, when I saw the huge empty space inside the chassis and as well all I/O terminals has to be changed.. Could a USB DAC DIY board fit in there, so I could solder on a PC audio input on one of the lines that won`t be used. Thinking of hijacking the Tape-Listen/Record terminals, if that could be doable. I read about this DIY DAC Kit on this site, http://www.qnktc.com/usb.php It sounds promising with the board powered by the USB, so it should just be to mount it safely and solder the USB plug and a couple options on outputs. Or am I dreaming? :Olympic:
If anyone got a clue on this pre-amp, please illuminate me!:confused:

thanks for yr patience
Old 8th January 2014, 03:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Outboard power supplies from Mondial came in three varieties, ALL of which were +24V and -24V.

There was the "base" power supply, a glorified wall-wart.

There was the "IPS" power supply, in a lovely triangular metal case.

Both of the above would work for your 24K, as both used the 3-prong XLR connector.

There was another outboard power supply, the "Ingot", which was similar to the IPS except with a bit more capacitance. It used a four-prong XLR connector so that it couldn't be plugged into the XLR output connectors of the preamp it was intended to be used with. Changing to a 3-prong XLR would make it suitable for your 24K.

Kevin Chambers is building aftermarket power supply circuit boards, ready to be installed into an IPS or Ingot housing--or the project box of your choice. You'd need a power cable, and the XLR connector and wires. You can contact Mr. Chambers at rkchambers@gmail.com

Tell him Schurkey sent you.

Hide this!Advertise here!