Mod: move if needed: amp without SS or tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Been looking at this amp as someone (other forum) bought the thing and is awaiting delivery.
It just screams "SCAM" to me, but I am not omniscient. So that's where you all come in. Any views on what this might be from the, imho, very scarce info they provide?

Link.

Quote:
BLAUDIO LP1 mkII does not use tubes or solid state parts (no transistors or op amps) to reproduce sound. Instead, two nanotechnology produced high end transformers powered by a battery power supply, are used to amplify the sound. The preamp’s transformers act like a moving coil cartridge on a grands scale to reproduce sound.

Maybe you understand the title now as I didn't know where to put this...:confused:

Contains no tubes or solid state. Yet farther down it claims it is Class A operation.

I found that odd too... As are the following two quotes. Not exactly a consistent way of describing it :D
Because of its unique amplification characteristics, LP1 mkII is the closest device to a straight wire with gain
Vinyl analogue sound, very musical sonic characters

I didn't even bother to look at the price.
It costs $485 (plus 150 shipping and 60 paperwork).

Could be something like this:

Magnetic amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This solution seems to be used before the wide application of semiconductors...

Interesting... never heard of that before! Definitely a flaw in my course material :crazy:
Assuming nano-technology produced transformers work the same way as normal ones :p I think you have at least solved the 'how it works' part.

TECHNICAL:
Input Impedance: 100Kohms
Gain: 12db
Bandwidth: 3Hz - 150kHz (-3db)
Total Harmonic Distortion (1kHz): <=0.05%
S/N Ratio: > 105db
Input interface: Gold plated RCA x 1 pair
Output interface: Gold plated RCA x 1 pair, 6.5mm headphone jack x 1
Power: +/-9.6V 600mA
Battery operation time: 25 hours for each battery

No output impedance? 0.05% at 1Khz? 12db of gain.Preamplifier/Headphone amp.
No specs. for what kind of headphones that it will drive?

Last edited:
Vinyl analogue sound, very musical sonic characters
Roughly translated, that means a fair amount of low-order distortion?

Nanotechnology is just a modern buzzword, applied to all sorts of things. It may or may not be relevant.

It could be a step-up transformer and a volume pot, with a resistor hidden somewhere to run the battery down. Or it could be a major advance in audio technology. Take note of the origin. This is the country which produces lots of 'tube amplifiers' in which the tube is either purely cosmetic or actually damages the sound. Sadly, the scams of their countrymen mean that when a Chinese firm really comes up with a bright idea the rest of the world won't believe them.

No, that would still require an active device for the HF oscillator.

My guess is it's just a passive volume control pot and a transformer. Note that the headphone amplification is an "add on circuit", thus exempt from the "no tubes or solid state parts" claim.

Why no? I think it is a possibility. They do not tell that they do NOT use a active device. They do NOT use a opamp, tube or transistor according to the ad. Why use the batteries for example. Please take a look at this link:

Homemade Magnetic Audio Amplifier.

It describes a diy magnetic amplifier where a battery is used for DC bias. If they only use a passive transformer, why build in the battery?

I do admit that the ad is very vague and open to discussion. Perhaps they use a combination. I must say it intrigues me. I would almost buy it for reverse enginering :D.

Please take a look at this link:

Homemade Magnetic Audio Amplifier.

It describes a diy magnetic amplifier....
Yes, but note that it says:

The source of ac power for this amplifier was a quickly made 35 khz oscillator that puts out a 10 - 12 vac sine wave capable of lighting a car tail light to full brilliance.
That oscillator needs to be made with transistors, and the magnetic amplifier won't work without it.

[OT]
I love that website - homemade lasers, CRTs, triodes, transistors etc. That's real DIY! :D
[/OT]

I love that website - homemade lasers, CRTs, triodes, transistors etc. That's real DIY! :D

me too, love this quote ;)

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!! This page welcomes all varieties of race, gender or anyone interested in its contents. If you are offended by anything that seems politically incorrect, don't write to me. I do not care to be annoyed by fanatic whiners who expect every printed line to pass correct political specifications.

" 主要改进了缓冲电路,由场效应管推挽电路改为甲类晶体管菱形互补电路 "
>> Google translate >>
"Improved buffer circuit FET push-pull circuit to CPI transistor diamond complementary circuit"

Maybe that's just for the headphone amp part of it?

Last edited:
BLaudio LP-1 II actually has a complementary transistor Class-A buffer just as they said in their website: " 主要改进了缓冲电路,由场效应管推挽电路改为甲类晶体管菱形互补电路 ".
Before,they were using FET as the buffer component.

It does? I must not have read with enough attention then.:crazy:

Or possibly this quote threw me off: "BLAUDIO LP1 mkII does not use tubes or solid state parts (no transistors or op amps) to reproduce sound." :D

To some of you I may very well be a noob with very limited knowledge, but I would venture to say said buffer is part of the system for sound reproduction.

But it may indeed not belong to the LP1 mkII but to the headphone amp? Well that's the other gripe I have: very limited and not very consistent information...

Yes, but note that it says:

That oscillator needs to be made with transistors, and the magnetic amplifier won't work without it.

[OT]
[/OT]

Point taken! Unfortunatly oscillators are still a bit "black art" to me. I have to dive into that ;). I feel now like Al Bundy from Married with Children (one of my favorite tv comedy shows). They have a episode when they try to find out what some electric switch in the house is doing. You can guess the result...lightning and shortning...:D. Anyway, oscillators are for me still :confused: ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.