PGA2310 ground question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,
I'm building a 5.1 channel amp for my PC. The PCB contains five TDA2050s for the main channels, two LM3886s for a dual VC sub and three PGA2310 chips for volume control, as well as the control logic to generate SPI commands (from an normal up/down switch).

Connecting this lot together on a double sided PCB is a pain but I've decided on three power planes: digital ground, analogue power ground (for localised resovoir caps) and signal ground. All three planes will be connected with a star.

My question: should the analogue ground on the PGA2310 chips connect to the signal ground or power ground?

Attached is a work-in-progress pic of the Mark1 version. It worked by there was a noticible hum on some outputs. I traced the cause to the power electrolytics sharing a ground plane with the signals. I want to do it right this time!

Nice one,
David.

Attachments

• pc_amp1.jpg
    pc_amp1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 451
The PGA2310 requires a digital ground which is the return for the +5V logic supply and this should be connected to your digital ground. Also, each one of the analog signals have a ground reference which I believe is labelled AGND. These should be the same potential as the signal references which are being amplified. It will probably be your signal ground.

I would also like to tell you about the PGA4311 which is a four channel version of the PGA2310, however, the analog section runs from +/- 5V and not +/-15V.

I can tell you from experience that these chips are rather nice. They work well as long as the control signal is good. It is not an SPI signal rather a data stream which is shifted in more like a serial to parallel shift register with a load. Once you have the signal timing correct, which isn't too difficult. They are rather sweet and can control volume over a large range or levels from -95.5dB to +31.5db(which usually is too loud any way). Good Luck and keep us informed of the progress.

BeanZ

The Analog and Digital grounds should be connected at a single
point, as stated in the Datasheet, p. 11.

I guess you have the DS, otherwise it's available at:

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/pga2310.pdf

I've built a preamp myself based on the PGA2310, but I'm sorry to say that I wasn't impressed with the sound. I used ADG406 muxes + OPA627 (Gain -1) + PGA2310 + OPA627 (Gain -1) + battery PS +/- 15V (20 x R6). The preamp sounded "fluffy", like I had wrapped the loudspeakers in a large felt pad. I don't know if it actually was the PGA's fault, but now I'm using the same OP-Amps and two 10k potentiometers as a temporary preamp and the sound is back to "normal". To point out the good stuff about the PGA2310: The level changes were absolutely click-free, also the chip was easy to interface (digitally, that is).

I've thought about trying the Wolfson WM8816, but I don't know yet if they'll send me samples...

Good luck with your project, hopefully you'll get better results than I had.

/ Pelle

My current PCB has the PGA2310 AGND connection going to my analogue power ground. I started having second thoughts about this and now I'm going with Beanz suggestion of connecting it to signal ground on my redesigned board. I don't want the voltage spikes caused by the electrolytic charging currents from putting 100Hz hum into the volume chips so signal ground it is. I'll let you know the result!

I was quite impressed with the sound of the Mark 1 version (except for the hum of course!). It's only a PC sound system so not proper hifi: the speakers are Audax 4" aerogel + 10mm tweet for the fronts, Audax 3" full range for the rears and Peerless 8" DVC 831858 for the sub. I like Audax.

Beanz,
I managed to get the serial interface working reliably without too many hassles. All control is all done with a Xilinx 9536XL CPLD as I have acess to the tools and programmer at work. Much easier than a uP for such a simple task!

Pelle,
I've already got the Burr-Brown parts so I'll stick with them. I've seen quite a lot of discussion about the Wolfson parts but nobody seems to have actually used them, probably because of their poor availability.

Thanks for the help guys.

Nice one,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.