Sanken S-40W bias problem/getting hot, any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, tonight I repaired an old JVC amp that I have been working on for a while, a JA-S11. It uses two Sanken S-40W output modules, I replaced one and the supplied part was faulty. I found another one and installed it, and the amp now runs fine, apart from one issue. The side that has been replaced gets much warmer much faster then the other side.
I thought it might have had parasitic oscillation but a quick check with the scope showed no signs of oscillations, which leads me to think that the modules bias is incorrect or needing adjustment.

I haven't done a load test on the amp, but will do soon. I have just ordered over 100 wire-wound resistors to make two 8 ohm 270W dummy loads, so once its built I'll crank it up and check its output.

Do these modules have any form of external bias control or is it fixed internally? I have included the schematic for the power amp section so you can see how it is implemented. I am hoping that someone with more skills than I can give me any ideas or tell me what could be causing the new unit to get overly warm compared to the other side, and if there is anything I can do to correct it. I understand they are an old module and the one I got supplied is second hand but it works, just with excess heat.

Any helpful comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get it running properly.

Attachments

• Screen shot 3 2012-05-11 at 4.10.19 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 3 2012-05-11 at 4.10.19 AM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.