How to wind a transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all i knowt that my question may appera asreally stupid but it's not for me!:)
Ok my question is:
What's the correct way to wind a transformer?
Secondary2-Primary2-Secondary1-Primary1-Core-Primary1-Seccondary1-Primary2-Secondary2

Secondary2/1-Primary2/1-Core-Primary2/1-Secondary2/1
(in this case i mean that the primary are winded on the core in the same sense... Start to winding, center tap, continue do winding, end. This for primary and secondary)

It depends on what the transformer is used for (welding transformer, power transformer, audio transformer)

I won't recommend winding a power transformer yourself since this can lead to dangerous situations. Isolation material, -thickness and distances must be respected!

Please specify for what purpose the transformer is needed.

I think it was in the Elektor magazine about a decade ago where a car-booster amp was detailed out, together with transformer winding instructions. See if you can get one of those magazines.

For SMPS transformers it is important to get good coupling between primary and secondary together with low stray inductance. This is achieved best with a so called 'sandwich' configuration. In case of a car booster amp the primary (low voltage-high current) would probably be a copper foil winding or thick litze-wire. In my opinion the half secondary - primary - half secondary is the best solution for this.

I recommend to search for SMPS transformer winding literature to be sure about this.

Good luck!

the half secondary - primary - half secondary
Probably u're refferign to this..
Secondary2/1-Primary2/1-Core-Primary2/1-Secondary2/1
But this mean...
SECONDARY WINDING1-CENTER TAP-SECONDARY WINDING2
PRIMARY WINDING 1 -CENTER TAP-PRIMARY WINDING 2
C O R E
C O R E
C O R E
PRIMARY WINDING 1 - -PRIMARY WINDING 2
SECONDARY WINDING1- -SECONDARY WINDING2
Is it clear?
Do u mean this?

I don't understand why you use center tapped primary winding. There's only 12Vdc plus and neutral available (on board voltage) so the SMPS converter topology will probably be a full bridge, right?
The secondary winding will be center tapped to get output voltage plus-neutral-minus. I think it is possible to use the connection between the two secondary coils as center tap. Let me try to put this out:

secondary secondary secondary
=======================
primary primary primary primary
=======================
secondary secondary secondary
=======================
core core core core core core core
core core core core core core core

I assume you want centertapped primary because of use of push-pull primary topology (which is quite convinient with 12V supply voltage)?

What about:

Second sekundary
=============
Sekond primary

First primary
=============
First Sekundary

CORE CORE CORE

= is isolation between vindings if mains isolation is required (3*0.1 mm mylar foil), but for use in a carstereo it might be left out.

Arrange the windings in such a way that the two "First" windings will be used together. This will reduce leakage inductance, which is quite bad for SMPS design.

You could also use a single secondary and a bridge rectifier, much simpler transformer, and better performance from this, but an extra diode drop on the sec.

By the way, wouldn't +/- 10V output voltage from an amplifier be far sufficiant in a car? This you can get just with a full bridge on the car's 12V. Personally I would get a headacke and loose my attention to driving if I fired off a 100W+ amp in a car...

MaXiZ said:
Infact i'm using a push-pull topology and i need around +/-45V@5A. So soren u suggest to wind the two primary and make them center tapped and then only one secondary? Is the same thing as two secondary center tapped?

Well, I was thinking about a full-bridge amplifier topology (which definately is to be considerede over half bridge topology at high output powers, at least for switching amps). Since you need +/- 45V, you do have to have a centertapped secondary.

Please pay attention to the issue of supply pumping, if you are making a half bridge switching amp, it makes the control circuitry a bit more complicated.

The amplifier you want to use, is it a linear or a switching amp?

I have tried to wind exactly the same transformer you want to. What I have found with the center tap is that if you dont have the number of turns on each tap, it becomes a mess. You will have power loss.

What I did is not wind the one elg of the tap and then the other but winding them together. This means connecting the ends of two wires, (the center tap), wind you specified number of turns and connect the two lose ends on seperate connector pins. Try to keep the windings next to each other and packed neatly. Start the secondary windings where you ended the primary windings. When you start a new layer, first put a protective heat layer in between or some other thin isolation material that will not melt easily. This not only protect the copper but prevents thethe top layer to shift inbetween the bottom layer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.