Low Cost Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeing how this is the solid state forum rather than the chip forum, I won't mention the hundreds of opamp-based designs you could use.

Many love the Gilmore Dynamic headphone amplifier used as a preamp. You can construct the amplifier section itself for maybe $50, with another $70-$80 going into the full PS. Then, blow what you want on casework, jacks, a stepped attenuator, etc, and you've got a by all accounts great preamp for only a few hundred dollars. You can find a schematic/notes on it at Headwize. I'm building one for a preamp stage to a GC right now.

LC Audio said:
Does anyone know if there are any good low cost preamps around? Good sounding that is...

Need one for my home system, and it should have at least line level inputs.

If you have some switches laying around like in your old attenuator as input selector, then i would go for the AD8610, with very simple regulation.

like ... Sorry the resistance values are missing....

But the AD8610 would work just fine with a gain of +1.

Attachments

• ad8610.zip
    63 KB · Views: 146
Throwing Lars to the Wolves???

peranders said:
Come on guys, you don't have to send the wolves after Lars.
Lars may have something (I don't know what) to offer you if he feels welcome here.
If Lars tells everyone why he wants this input maybe he can get some clever ideas from you clever guys.
Per-Anders,
This is typical, this is so typical.........
:rolleyes:

Lars is more after a non-diy preamp. I'd say a used Denon PRA-1500 is a good buy for a descent amount of money. Costed 15 years ago 350 USD and my Denon has worked excellent all years, no mechanical hassle what so ever. 4 ganged volume pot(!), JFET's in the MC-RIAA, overall a good design, no weirdness altough it come from Japan.

Is there any new good preamps out there for 200-400 USD.

I'm Hurt!

'Maybe he's NOT _REALLY_ the Lars Clausen of LCaudio ??

A couple of years ago I would have pinned this on Fred, but I m getting too old for this. "

Even I am getting too old for that.......

I am insulted Sir, that you would think a Guy like me would come up with something so obvious and boring. My creations had backbone and a sense of style. Why, occasionally they were even Grand.....

Attachments

• ringopetersellers.jpg
    ringopetersellers.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 940
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.