old philips 720 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just aquired an old Philips 720, 2 x 30 watt class a reciever, for free. Does anyone have a schematic or other info about this amplifier? I want to use just the class a amps (which are quite good I've been told) and get rid of the preamp and tuner.

The problem is that with this mess inside (really not neat compared to my quad 405) I can't clearly see which cables come from the preamp.

Hi Guys

About European Vintage .

I have finished restoring a Philips tuner from the 70 .

After cleaning, realigning and doing some mods , I am really amazed by is performance , specially in DX reception. :bigeyes:

Here are some pics.

Cheers

Attachments

• im000167.jpg
    im000167.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 448
I would be happy to see that schematic...i remember it impressed me very well when i

visited a friend in 1975.

FM receptions was very good...in those early days FM stations worked different from our present days.... sound was nice, no compressors, only some limiters were used.... hi quality of sound...not that awfull noise we have today.... sound to torture us.

Sound was flat, not compressed or expanded, no bass boost or treble boost...no audibility compensations....flat...from 40 to 15000 hertz really flat.

That one sounded nice, was a receiver, not only tuner, had amplifiers inside...and speaker was simple...just one Philips driver, a single speaker to each channel

I would be happy to take a look at this schematic.

I hope someone have it, to attach that precious thing here, to us.

Sound was warm, present in voices range and defined into high frequencies...i remember was playing Star Dust, i cannot remember the music sonics, but i can remember my feelings.... i felt good, confortable and dreaming beeing waken up, was a good time with beans made with curry and beer.... we were talking about our girls friends...they were friends....sound is connected to feelings, to friendship, to love and passion.... those days a brazilian guy made the music "feelings", in English....Morris Albert...ahahaha...Maurício Alberto.....Brasilian with hot blood and Samba in his feet and heart.

For sure, that delicious sonics came from a bootstrapped Philips design....and from Holland!

regards,

Carlos

This one is even older (end of the sixties ), family heritage ...

The stereo decoder even use the old European germanium transistors AC 126... :)

However , the radiofrequency performance is not as good as the model in the first post...

Attachments

• imagem 027.jpg
    imagem 027.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 330
Thank you very much.... you have made me happy this Sunday.

In your church prays...tell the man you made a very good thing today...made your Brazilian brother happy.

Poxa rapaz!.... que bela ajuda me deste... muito obrigado.

Eu descendo da familia Mergulhão, proveniente the Lisboa...são fabricantes de faqueiros de prata, estão em atividade.

My father family come from Portugal, from Lisbon, were they manufacture forks and knifes made with silver, gold and steel... they are still in activity...the factory started early 1600.

What a great help man! thanks!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• faqueiros.jpg
    faqueiros.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 222
Here it goes the matching amp 22GH499 of the tuner in post #8.

20 W per channel .

In the input of the output stage, a BC 107 transistor is the only silicon device, all the others are germanium...
The VAS use a AF118 , the drivers AC 132 - AC 127 and the finals, a quasi complementary symmetry of AD149.

A particularity , the power amp is completely regulated (even the outputs ) by a discrete regulator based in a ASZ15 germanium power device and the output of the amp is capacitor coupled to the speaker...

Attachments

• imagem 035.jpg
    imagem 035.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 228
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.