Long interconnects or speaker cable? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2003, 10:28 PM   #101
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Thank you very much, Fred, that's exactly what I meant.

Steve,

If you care to reread your latest post here you may realise its technical flaws and contradictions

Next time you feel the urge to advance the current state of the art, please think twice before you dig yourself a grave.

Maybe you could read up on skin depth?

Cheers,
Old 9th October 2003, 11:08 PM   #102
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default getting a grip on it.

Yes Jocko, I finally sifted though the Jensen site and became fairly enlightened after reading Bill Whitlocks' white paper on Balanced/Unbalanced Circuits (thx Da5id4Vz) He uses basic circuitry diagrams w/ fair, better and best designs + commentary that explains quite well, what happening and how to fix it.

It looks like a simple input circuit on my XO will convert it to balanced and that only one transformer is needed per interconnect, to "disconnect" ground loops( better to have them on both input and out but...). Im assuming one is in the Adcom 750 since it has both balanced inputs and outputs.
I will read all of this again to make sure I actually got it.

amt
Old 10th October 2003, 02:48 AM   #103
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've split off the skin effect discussion into a new thread, "The Skin Game." It's in the "Everything Else" section.
Old 10th October 2003, 03:57 AM   #104
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann

For the same length cable, twisting the wire will require a great length of the straight wire before it is twisted, than a straight run of wire for the same finished cable length. The shortest distance between two point is a straight line. If you have X pF per foot times a greater length, the capacitance increases.

Simply, do you mean this? A pair of parallel wires longer and longer, the capacitance between the two wires bigger and bigger, because of the increased areas of the two capacitor plates.
Old 10th October 2003, 04:54 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jh6you
Simply, do you mean this? A pair of parallel wires longer and longer, the capacitance between the two wires bigger and bigger, because of the increased areas of the two capacitor plates.
Yup. Though unless you're using an unusually tight twist, it's negligible. I took a length of twisted pair I had laying around here and measured it at 68 inches. I untwisted it and straightened out one of the wires and it measured a whopping 69 inches.

se
Old 10th October 2003, 07:05 AM   #106
diyAudio Retiree

Question Negligible whoopers

"Yup. Though unless you're using an unusually tight twist, it's negligible. I took a length of twisted pair I had laying around here and measured it at 68 inches. I untwisted it and straightened out one of the wires and it measured a whopping 69 inches"

What is that about 2 twist per foot?
Not much of a twisted pair......
Old 10th October 2003, 08:09 AM   #107
Account Disabled

se

I do not want to play the game biting tails. The comparison between 68 and 69 inches is however meaningless to my question, I think. Anyhow, thanks for your kind confirmation of my correct understanding.
Old 10th October 2003, 08:50 AM   #108
Banned

Default How did I miss this gem???

Quote:
you couldn't have been more wrong on this. the guy did all he could to focus on the issues not personal attacks or unfounded accusations. and if everyone were like him, we would have a much more enjoyable forum on audio.
Let me see........do I have this right..........?

Focus on the issues???? Confuse the hell out of the newbies, and annoy the rest of us. That is your idea of "focus"?

If everyone were like him, we would all need lobotomies. Then all of life would be more enjoyable, I suppose.

Give me a break. But what else did I expect?

Jocko
Old 10th October 2003, 12:50 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default 1200 ohm output:

1200 ohm output:

I found a reference to high output impedances on the Benchmark Media sight that seems to make sense. They explain that manufactures of consumer-oriented electronics will raise the output impedances of devices to protect the users from themselves. It was noted that summing outputs to derive a mono output is not an uncommon practice. In this situation output drivers if not isolated can load each other and oscillate.

If you chooses to use the balanced out puts of the Adcom, I would recommend, down the road, that you investigate lowering the output impendence to between 50 and 150 ohms. Its not likely to be much tougher than replacing the transistors between the output op-amp and the XLR.
Old 10th October 2003, 01:01 PM   #110
Account Disabled

Default Re: How did I miss this gem???

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko Homo
Focus on the issues???? Confuse the hell out of the newbies, and annoy the rest of us. That is your idea of "focus"?

Jocko

the point is that he didn't engage in personal attacks. he may confuse and annoy people but some people will be confused by the simplest matter and other annoyed by the nicest thing. It shouldn't be his fault if others cannot understand and get annoyed.

Hide this!Advertise here!