Long interconnects or speaker cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thank you very much, Fred, that's exactly what I meant.

Steve,

If you care to reread your latest post here you may realise its technical flaws and contradictions

Next time you feel the urge to advance the current state of the art, please think twice before you dig yourself a grave.

Maybe you could read up on skin depth?

Cheers,;)

getting a grip on it.

Yes Jocko, I finally sifted though the Jensen site and became fairly enlightened after reading Bill Whitlocks' white paper on Balanced/Unbalanced Circuits (thx Da5id4Vz) He uses basic circuitry diagrams w/ fair, better and best designs + commentary that explains quite well, what happening and how to fix it.

It looks like a simple input circuit on my XO will convert it to balanced and that only one transformer is needed per interconnect, to "disconnect" ground loops( better to have them on both input and out but...). Im assuming one is in the Adcom 750 since it has both balanced inputs and outputs.
I will read all of this again to make sure I actually got it.

amt

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Fred Dieckmann said:

For the same length cable, twisting the wire will require a great length of the straight wire before it is twisted, than a straight run of wire for the same finished cable length. The shortest distance between two point is a straight line. If you have X pF per foot times a greater length, the capacitance increases.

Simply, do you mean this? A pair of parallel wires longer and longer, the capacitance between the two wires bigger and bigger, because of the increased areas of the two capacitor plates.

jh6you said:
Simply, do you mean this? A pair of parallel wires longer and longer, the capacitance between the two wires bigger and bigger, because of the increased areas of the two capacitor plates.

Yup. Though unless you're using an unusually tight twist, it's negligible. I took a length of twisted pair I had laying around here and measured it at 68 inches. I untwisted it and straightened out one of the wires and it measured a whopping 69 inches. :)

se

Negligible whoopers

"Yup. Though unless you're using an unusually tight twist, it's negligible. I took a length of twisted pair I had laying around here and measured it at 68 inches. I untwisted it and straightened out one of the wires and it measured a whopping 69 inches"

What is that about 2 twist per foot?
Not much of a twisted pair......

How did I miss this gem???

you couldn't have been more wrong on this. the guy did all he could to focus on the issues not personal attacks or unfounded accusations. and if everyone were like him, we would have a much more enjoyable forum on audio.

Let me see........do I have this right..........?

Focus on the issues???? Confuse the hell out of the newbies, and annoy the rest of us. That is your idea of "focus"?

If everyone were like him, we would all need lobotomies. Then all of life would be more enjoyable, I suppose.

Give me a break. But what else did I expect?

Jocko

1200 ohm output:

1200 ohm output:

I found a reference to high output impedances on the Benchmark Media sight that seems to make sense. They explain that manufactures of consumer-oriented electronics will raise the output impedances of devices to protect the users from themselves. It was noted that summing outputs to derive a mono output is not an uncommon practice. In this situation output drivers if not isolated can load each other and oscillate.

If you chooses to use the balanced out puts of the Adcom, I would recommend, down the road, that you investigate lowering the output impendence to between 50 and 150 ohms. Its not likely to be much tougher than replacing the transistors between the output op-amp and the XLR.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: How did I miss this gem???

Jocko Homo said:
Focus on the issues???? Confuse the hell out of the newbies, and annoy the rest of us. That is your idea of "focus"?

Jocko

the point is that he didn't engage in personal attacks. he may confuse and annoy people but some people will be confused by the simplest matter and other annoyed by the nicest thing. It shouldn't be his fault if others cannot understand and get annoyed.

Re: I can't understand???

Jocko Homo said:
What?? Total sophistry and outright nonsense. Get real, pal.

I've seen plenty of hand-waving claims to this effect, but where's the substantiation? That's not to say I'm claiming to be entirely correct on everything, only that a bunch of hand-waving and personal attacks doesn't make it so.

I could simply turn around claim you and Fred are just as full of sophistry and outright nonsense. Tastes great! Less filling! But where's the beef?

se

Steve,

I see that you are back with a vengence.........I was starting to get a bit worried there for a moment. :D :D :D

Regards,
Jam

Attachments

• bosc05.gif
    bosc05.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 182
Why don't we all just give this a rest, it benifits no one

"I could simply turn around claim you and Fred are just as full of sophistry and outright nonsense."

You can and have..... Unfortunately, it seems you are expanding your horizons to thinking nearly everyone one else is wrong too. PHDs that write textbooks, practicing engineers, manufacturers, scientist........ anybody that disagrees your limited understanding of some of the subjects under discussion. After a certain point in this progression, they have a names for views like these, delusion and paranoia. We are not questioning your moral character, just wondering why you paint yourself in the corner so often in these discussions. Take a rest, do something else that's fun for a few days. Nobody want's to watch you have nervous breakdown over any of this, I honestly don't want to see it happen and I can't imagine anyone else would either.

Fred

delusion and paranoia
nervous breakdown

:cop: Well over the line, Fred. If you disagree with what Steve is saying, try actually addressing it on its merits. Ad hominem is unacceptable in debate and in this forum. I warned you about this in the other thread.

Take a two day break from this and the Skin Game thread. If you want to respond to Steve's request about a quote, you can email him.

Whose debating?

This lost any semblence of a debate a long time ago. I have addressed the merit and still it goes down this path... again and again. I am not trying to be insulting and am absolutely serious about my concerns. If the moderators don't like where this has already gone, kill the thread and tell everyone to take a few days cooling off period. I would have done this a long time ago if I was a moderator. Remove whatever you think is over the line and do your job as a moderator. I will not take the rap for all this. I have tried to drag this back to a technical discussion several time to have abuse heaped on me for daring to disagree. I think you need to go back and read the thread before you lay all this on me.

Re: Why don't we all just give this a rest, it benifits no one

Fred Dieckmann said:
"I could simply turn around claim you and Fred are just as full of sophistry and outright nonsense."

You can and have..... Unfortunately, it seems you are expanding your horizons to thinking nearly everyone one else is wrong too. PHDs that write textbooks, practicing engineers, manufacturers, scientist........ anybody that disagrees your limited understanding of some of the subjects under discussion.

No, I'm not thinking nearly everyone else is wrong. I'm simply questioning some claims that I've found questionable. If I were thinking they were wrong, I wouldn't bother asking the questions that I've asked, which neither you, Frank nor Jocko have provided any answers to.

My understanding may very well be limited. I've never claimed otherwise. But that's why I ask questions. How do you expect someone's understanding to be improved if the questions they ask never get answered?

All you three do is sit there nice and safe in the cheap seats taking pot shots. Why is it when you claim I'm wrong about something you never explain exactly WHY I'm wrong as if your simply saying I'm wrong should be self-evident?

Why do you refuse to engage in any actual dialogue? Are you afraid that you might say something wrong and embarrass yourself? Is that why you just keep throwing up URLs and whatnot? So you never have to actually commit to saying anything in your own words?

se

Hey SY,

Can you please delete my post above #109 ("1200 ohm outputs")?

It seems after rereading it that he writing is unreadable, even by my own knuckle dragging standards. (Stuff like saying transistor when thinking resistor)

It also seems that I may have drifted off topic by trying to talk about interconnects.

Thanks.
-Dave

Re: Whose debating?

Fred Dieckmann said:
I have tried to drag this back to a technical discussion several time to have abuse heaped on me for daring to disagree.

Where was there any actual discussion on your part, Fred?

You've said I am wrong. You have thrown up some URLs. When I've asked questions about claims made at some of those URLS that to me are questionable, you wholly ignore my questions and just go back to the same routine. How does that constitute a discussion?

Here's a question that I've asked several times already but still have yet to get an answer from you on.

You said:

Noise induced by varying magnetic fields will be differential and not rejected by a balanced circuit, which rejects common mode noise.

If this is true, then why are people like Bill Whitlock claiming that induced noise from varying magnetic fields can be rejected by way of common-mode rejection?

Which is correct? The quoted statement or Bill Whitlock? Because everything I've read in Jensen's technical papers is at odds with the quoted statement.

Step up to the plate, Fred, and explain this. Demonstrate that you have the understanding you keep claiming I lack.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.