diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Silvi,
An SMPS would be fine as long as you filter the switching transients out of the DC well enough. Also, the control circuit needs to deal with very high variations in current demand.

Performance with an SMPS supply could be much better than with a normal transformer.

-Chris

Hi Silvi,
An SMPS would be fine as long as you filter the switching transients out of the DC well enough. Also, the control circuit needs to deal with very high variations in current demand.

Performance with an SMPS supply could be much better than with a normal transformer.

-Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris, In fact I built myself a half bridge smps which can deliver 1200w. It is unregulated and does not need a lot of filtering in the output as far as I have seen on the scope my ripple current at full load (8A)is 4v peak to peak, a very small percentage compared to an Iron cored trafo. The noise floor without load is 20mV p/p The supply is 80-0-80. (160v)
The smps is powering my 1000w amplifier and the output voltage sags very little (77v) while it is playing on high volume. Harmonics are very low not to say un-noticeable these are very high up over the audible frequencies (over 60Khz)

@ Anatech
Here is picture of my amp and power supply

Attachments

• amp top view.JPG
    amp top view.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 578
Hi Chris, No apparent noise on the output, I tested with the volume turned full on but no signal to the input and the speakers are dead quiet with my ear 10cm away from the woofer. no hum no hiss nothing that I can hear.

I still need to change the clip detector as the one used is indicating prematurely, I built another one from Elliot sounds which I found the schematic on the internet I am to try it out tomorrow morning. I hope it works as it should.

PS the box used for the amplifier is a commercial one which this had its power supply and amp burnt and was not worth fixing up, I utilized the existing preamp, speaker outlet and the front panel and interfaced everything else to fit with my supply and amplifier.

The smps build can be found on diy smps which I have posted the full pdf file for it

Regards Silvio

Attachments

• amp front view.jpg
    amp front view.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 546
  • amp back view.jpg
    amp back view.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Hi all,
This is my first amp build that I am doing with/for my son.
I can build to a schematic and follow the build guide (I hope ).
The problem I have is that I have ordered nearly all the parts from the BOM V2.0 01/16/2013 but have found out that some are not available.
Can people suggest alternatives for the following parts please as I am not confident enough in choosing alternatives.

Q1, Q2, Q19-Q21

D1, D2

R43-R50

C3, C10, C12, C14, C16

Thanks.

power supply of +/-63V (from a 45-0-45transformer)

I used a 600va 2x40v one for mine. The amp is capable of 180w into an 8 ohm load so there is some headroom. or you could use a couple of 300va ones. Oh yes and I also installed a soft start.

Regards

niss_man
hello, in the guda there was talk of a transformer with secondary 45-0-45, while you used a 40-0-40 v ?? it works the same, there are margins x use x example a 37-0-37 v ?? thank you:)

Can someone who has built this amp give a description of what it sounds like? Also im curious if it would work in a mono block setup?

It sounds like a wire with gain :D

No, seriously, mine sound pretty darn good. The build guide describes the sound like the amp never runs out of power. That's true, but it does everything else really well. I have not had any other amps that were better than my HBs.

In the end it probably depends a bit on the power supply, and also on the lead compensation (LC) caps. Give it a beefy dual mono power supply, and play around with the LC caps to find your sweet spot.

Yes, mono would work very well. It's just more work with the case to make two mono blocks for stereo.

PSU help ?

hi, can you help me to make psu? I have 2 toroidals of 37x2 600w and I have capacitors of 47000uf and 15000 uf, 63v how can I make psu? I think that a class AB, clc, crc, nubber, are not important .. or wrong ?? hb_psu.png can I use this configuration with the 15000uf capacitors and my 2x37v transformers? or maybe with only 4 x 47000uf channel capacitors? thank you