Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 06:18 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
EZ enough on perf. We do have PSU boards in the store too. Might be out of stock ATM. Seems like on AB amps you don't see the Pi filter arrangement, with the resistors much. Probably because the amp has decent power supply ripple rejection. The resistors lower the voltage a little and maybe the varying power draw of the AB amps is an issue. Anyone know?
Short answer: R//D

The "D" can be series pairs of heavy duty TO220 diodes for constraining the resistor's voltage drop to ~1.4v, and these can be heatsinked to defer the heat away from the capacitors.

The "D" can be KBPC2501's with the two AC tabs cut off, thus creating a heavy duty ~1.3v diode unit that is easy to heatsink. Reverse voltage tolerance is not applicable at PI filter location. It is vital to check the polarity with a voltmeter prior to adding the paralleled resistor. That model is probably overkill on current handling, but easier to heatsink is an important feature. Heavy duty, lower voltage, diodes have less forward voltage drop at high amperage and less voltage drop means less heat. So, these big metal squares are easier to heatsink for two reasons.

When these ~1.3v diode units are parallel with the resistors (PI filter, the "R" in the CRC), the resistors do not explode. It is also possible to use resistors up to 1R for increasing/installing an open sound effect. Likewise it is not required to use ineffectively tiny resistor values in order to constrain voltage drop, since the diode unit takes over the job of constraining voltage drop.

Unlike a lower power amplifier, Honey Badger might easily pull down a resistor to 0.7v standard diode; however, two diodes in series (or the above described diode unit) might provide enough slack for the PI filter to work as expected.

R//D That's all I've got at the moment.
Old 16th August 2012, 03:41 PM   #82
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Daniel is a creative guy.........He likes using his own terms and explanations. Not everyone agrees with these...
Old 16th August 2012, 10:56 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Is this proposal and explanation of how it works gobbledegook or am I getting a bit too slow in the uptake of new ideas?
Fortunately, I didn't give an explanation on how it works. But, here is one possible explanation in this link to Lenard Audio, with the PI filter removing discordant ripple distortion. I thought it a fascinating read.

In my previous post, I was merely proposing one way to constrain the heat and voltage drop of the "R" in the CRC power board. That is a totally orthodox CRC power supply when the amp is used at low/modest/normal power, since the catch diode isn't on.

Honey Badger is capable of a wide range of power output. I could not choose one perfect resistor value to support both low and high power; however, I could choose a resistor value to support low power use that is set parallel to a catch diode to support high power use when needed.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:59 AM   #84
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

ok, i get it now, what you wanted to do was to make a CRC filter out of the psu and that you wanted to limit the drop in the resistor to 2 diode drops.....this is new to my eyes...congratulations for coming up with such a novel idea...
Old 17th August 2012, 05:00 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Default heatsink(s) at power board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
ok, i get it now, what you wanted to do was to make a CRC filter out of the psu and that you wanted to limit the drop in the resistor to 2 diode drops.....this is new to my eyes...congratulations for coming up with such a novel idea...
Thank you. But I feel compelled to mention that when used with a high power amplifier All diodes on the power board need to be heatsinked to avoid capacitor heat damage (since ordinary connections are both electrically and thermally conductive), and the greater the forward voltage drop the greater the heat. I believe that we should expect the need to heatsink the diodes.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:06 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

There is possibly an additional caveat--An open sound effect, aka miniscule reverb that could be good or could be wrong. I believe the fix for misbehavior is exactly the same--pile on more resistors at the cost of a less effective filter (very similar to adjusting an orthodox CRC to fit a higher power amplifier). My point of mentioning this somewhat controversial bit is that an effect may exist and it is adjustable when it isn't a surprise. I have not tested this C,R//D,C power filter for beyond 127 watts amplifier. Some fine tuning may be needed.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:06 AM   #87
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

my first channel HoneyBadger ...
it glow! it stable and it sing very good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120901_123525.jpg (109.9 KB, 1215 views)
File Type: jpg 20120901_131737.jpg (87.4 KB, 1115 views)
File Type: jpg 20120901_131323.jpg (91.2 KB, 1456 views)
File Type: jpg 20120901_131401.jpg (86.2 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg 20120901_123609.jpg (112.5 KB, 1066 views)
File Type: jpg 20120901_123601.jpg (114.8 KB, 501 views)
Old 1st September 2012, 10:35 PM   #88
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf View Post
it glow!
it stable and
it sing very good
What more could anyone want from an amp!

Last edited by Variac; 1st September 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:50 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Bravo Mr. Naf...
Old 5th September 2012, 09:51 AM   #90
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Budiyanto View Post
Bravo Mr. Naf...
Thanks my bro.

Hide this!Advertise here!