diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2013, 10:56 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

I used axial leads on mine but so long as the leads are long enough on those radial ones it should be fine.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:59 PM   #362
chunek is offline chunek  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi HoneyBadger,

You may consider to buy 0.22 from mouser
CP0005R2200JB14 Vishay / Dale | Mouser

I am using this type in diyab amp but stock will be in middle of Aug:
LVR05R2200FE12 Vishay / Dale | Mouser

James
Old 15th July 2013, 07:54 AM   #363
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I've just found that this project fond its way to the shop. I think I'll try to build it from what I have.
What would be the best input transistors? I have some Fets (sk170 and 370) and plenty of 2sa970/2sc2240BL and none of the 2sa992/1845 or mpsa18. I have plenty of BC550c/560c and 2sa1370-71E and 2sc3467-68E.
Instead of 2sa1381/sc3503 I'll use 2sa1406/sc3600 as I have enough of these.
Probably I'll have to get mje1503x as 2sa1930/sc5171 are not as powerful but I used them to drive triplets.
I'll appeciate any comments and suggestions.
cheers,
Janusz
Old 15th July 2013, 10:33 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Hi,
I've just found that this project fond its way to the shop.
Really? I can only find the circuit boards
Old 16th July 2013, 02:27 AM   #365
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone5y View Post
Really? I can only find the circuit boards
Circuit boards are enough. Parts may come from anywhere, be it Mouser or B&DEnterprises (including hard to find transistors), DgiKey etc ort one's spare parts box.

cheers,
Janusz
Old 19th July 2013, 07:07 AM   #366
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevin View Post
Well itís finally done and here are the pics. I wasn't particularly picky about which brand of components I used and stuck to the prescribed values in the build guide. The only exception is the power supplies where I splashed out a bit on making sure that there was no shortage in that department, using a dedicated toroidal and smoothing capacitor bank for each channel. Basically 2 monoblocks in a single chassis. The outcome is surprisingly good Ė someone on this thread previously used the term ďauthorityĒ to describe the amps performance and thatís probably the best way to describe it Ė it exerts tremendous authority over my speakers. The sound is quite forward with great low end performance and soundstage. If I compare it to my Arcam FMJ (which was a bit underpowered for my speakers) Iíd say it sounds the same (i.e. very neutral) but X 2 for the authority and ďsizeĒ of the sound. A very pleasing outcome and Iím dead happy!
Anyone contemplating the build I suggest go for it - itís a whole lot of fun but take your time, do it carefully, donít skimp on the Power Supply side and enjoy!
Very nice!
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:47 PM   #367
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Would these work for D 4,5, 8 and 9? The build guide says any 3 amp diode, these are 4 amp.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...nR7LSnSXQGY%3d
Old 24th July 2013, 04:45 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

Default Hello all....

Glad to see things are still going on !

I really did not mean to abandon the thread .... Much has happened lately.

My PC died , had to build a new one . Come back online , my yahoo email was hacked (compromised) for the 3rd time. So .... new quad core HTPC ,new house,
new ISP = no money for audio .

All is better now , found a pair of Mission 763i's and replaced the bass drivers.
Now I can REALLY hear the full fidelity of my badger prototypes.

I now just about have what I need for 3 amps.

1. Subwoofer amp - I found a 40-0-40VDC PS (below - free!!) This amp will be maxed out , all 3 pair , lower voltage (SOA 4amp per device). This amp will be "down and dirty" MJE340/350 VAS running at 12ma , have to run a 3.2R load in a sealed enclosure.

2. A new 2 channel full range amp. If I cannibalize my present amp , I'll have a nice shielded trafo , 40Kuf , and 60-0-60VDC to work with. These amps will use just 2 pair el cheapo MJW1302/3281. I just have to power the missions ,and my present power stage does so admirably.

I was very surprised to see the Badger actually reviewed . Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide. - Page 7 - Product Reviews & Personal Opinions (Moderated) - StereoNET Australia
I KNOW this amp outperforms mass produced OEM stuff , but I was amazed to see it auditioned by someone who listens to $$$$ real amps !! Of course Niss's build was awesome and contributed to the outcome.

So , My Email works and has a VERY strong password . I am amazed as my former passwords were quite unique. Anyone spammed by my account ,I am truly sorry. In this increasingly insecure online world ,one must be MUCH more careful .

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badgersubps.jpg (123.3 KB, 397 views)
Old 24th July 2013, 05:02 PM   #369
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great to see you back in action !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th July 2013, 05:51 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

Ok, OS, I'll bite. Why amp bits on a cart with a box of kitty litter, cigarettes and a quart or two of oil?

Hide this!Advertise here!