diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 07:32 PM   #301
Wembley is offline Wembley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronInLawrence View Post
The Honey Badger BOM specifies Nobel-brand resistors for R43 to R48, the 0.22R power resistors. In Post #42, Danielwritesback posted a BOM with a link to a vendor for these, Analog Metric, in Hong Kong. Analog Metric no longer sells these. An e-mail asking about them got the response ďWe have KOA 0.22R 5W in stock. Please advise if this is ok.Ē A visit to KOAís web sited showed that KOA Speer doesnít have a suitable replacement for the Nobel RGC3 or RGC5.
Unfortunately, the pads for these resistors are too close together to accommodate any other resistor Iíve found. Of course, conventional wirewound resistors can be used, standing them up on end, but Iíd rather have the Nobel resistors.
Nobelís web site http://www.nobleusa.com/pdf/rgb-rgg.pdf has the resistors, and a list of distributors, but so far none that Iíve contacted have responded to my e-mail asking for a quote for 25 of them. I think these distributors are set up to sell to manufacturers who buy thousands at a time.
So the question is: Has anyone found either a replacement for the Nobel resistors for R43 to R48, or a source for the Nobel brand?
I have found the following at AnalogMetric:

Cement 0.2 Ohm 5W Non-inductance Resistor_Cement_Resistor_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

Seem to be a fair replacement for the specified Nobel resistor and have about the right pinout. Hopefully the quality is good. There was one possibility on ebay that I found, but I've gone for the units above myself.

Building an amplifier seems like madness at the moment, but what can possibly go wrong? :-)
Old 8th May 2013, 05:48 AM   #302
diyAudio Member

Smile Success!

I can't believe I first posted that I "took the plunge" back on February 22. What can I say? I'm a busy guy. I'm listening to one channel right now, using a power supply taken from another build. So far, it sounds good in mono. The second channel should go much faster!
Thank you, Wembley, for the link. I bought 4 boards. So maybe I'll use the resistors from Analog Metric for the second pair.
I'll post more pictures when it's all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honeybadger channel 1 1.JPG (291.2 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg honeybadger channel 1 3.JPG (394.1 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg Honeybadger channel 1 2.JPG (197.2 KB, 716 views)
Old 18th May 2013, 10:22 PM   #303
bkevin is offline bkevin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up It's done!

Well itís finally done and here are the pics. I wasn't particularly picky about which brand of components I used and stuck to the prescribed values in the build guide. The only exception is the power supplies where I splashed out a bit on making sure that there was no shortage in that department, using a dedicated toroidal and smoothing capacitor bank for each channel. Basically 2 monoblocks in a single chassis. The outcome is surprisingly good Ė someone on this thread previously used the term ďauthorityĒ to describe the amps performance and thatís probably the best way to describe it Ė it exerts tremendous authority over my speakers. The sound is quite forward with great low end performance and soundstage. If I compare it to my Arcam FMJ (which was a bit underpowered for my speakers) Iíd say it sounds the same (i.e. very neutral) but X 2 for the authority and ďsizeĒ of the sound. A very pleasing outcome and Iím dead happy!
Anyone contemplating the build I suggest go for it - itís a whole lot of fun but take your time, do it carefully, donít skimp on the Power Supply side and enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4955_015DSC_4955lo res.JPG (531.3 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4950_016DSC_4950lo res.JPG (741.7 KB, 607 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 10:07 PM   #304
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful!
Old 20th May 2013, 03:04 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

When you buy the boards at the DIYaudio store does this contain 2 boards for 39USD?
Old 20th May 2013, 03:10 PM   #306
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

You may find the PCB here, and yes, (2) boards for $39.

The diyAB "Honey Badger" Class AB Power Amp - 150W/Channel (2 Channels) - Other Amps - Power Amplifiers - PCBs
Old 30th May 2013, 05:03 PM   #307
ncg2013 is offline ncg2013  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ncg2013
Looks good! Got two toroidals today and the caps so will start building and hopefully end up something like yours.
Old 30th May 2013, 05:04 PM   #308
diyAudio Member

BryonInLawrence - which chassis are you using there?
Old 30th May 2013, 06:02 PM   #309
diyAudio Member

It's made by Par-Metal, but it's not on their web site. They used to sell them only on e-bay for $165.00 (not including shipping) but I don't see them on e-bay any more. You could probably get it from Par-Metal as a custom order, but I'm sure you'll pay more than $165.00.

I purchased a chassis from the diyAudio store for another build. It's very nice - heavier, more precisely machined, and more handsome than the Par-Metal. I would consider this one 4U Amplifier Chassis w/ Aluminum Heatsinks and Faceplate - Full width with 40mm Heatsinks - Chassis
Old 31st May 2013, 08:28 AM   #310
diyAudio Member

ok, will have a look at both, may even build from scratch.

Hide this!Advertise here!