diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Bill of Materials (BOM) from DiyAudio.com store (link below)

Has anyone created a Mouser BOM for this amp yet? I started on it but I'm a bit of a noob and got confused on the types of resistors (ceramic, carbon, film, etc) that would be best.
The information is in the store.
Bill of Materials Spreadsheet
This can be opened with Excel, Excel Reader (free), Oxygen Office (free), Open Office (free) and more.

Or you can click on the attachment, which is a PDF

Attachments

• HoneyBadger_BOM.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,248
For R43-R48 the BOM calls for noble resistors in the tolerance column. What does this mean?
Noble is a brand name, like Vishay, Dale, etc. . . That entry needed to say "non inductive"
Mouser doesn't make it easy, but probably these:RS005R2200FE12 Vishay/Dale | Mouser
But, I think that OS actually used something like this: 280-CR5-0.22-RC Xicon | Mouser
The ordinary grade of little white 5 watt wirewound in values of 0.25 ohms and less (including our 0.22 ohms) are usually non-inductive with no extra effort for that feature and thus no extra price is necessary. However, the leads are inductive, and thus it seems that fitting nicely to the board is good to do.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
any confirmation that this is true?

The ordinary grade of little white 5 watt wirewound in values of 0.25 ohms and less (including our 0.22 ohms) are usually non-inductive with no extra effort for that feature and thus no extra price is necessary. However, the leads are inductive, and thus it seems that fitting nicely to the board is good to do.

any confirmation that this is true?
Yes sir. Here is a little scrap of evidence in this Ohmmite datasheet. In wirewound construction, the shorter the element, the smaller the value, the lesser the inductance, so at the smallest of values there is insignificant inductance.

As far as the leads being inductive, that is merely wishful thinking because I hope they are good quality copper rather than some economy alloy. In either case it looks good to have the resistor fit so that the leads aren't long.

Last edited:
The information is in the store.
Bill of Materials Spreadsheet
This can be opened with Excel, Excel Reader (free), Oxygen Office (free), Open Office (free) and more.

Or you can click on the attachment, which is a PDF
I'm in he same boat as mattmcl... trying to create a mouser BOM but am struggling. Has anyone done this yet? I've made it through the transistors and diodes, but am feeling a lower confidence level in selecting the right components from here on out. Anyone done this? I'd be greatly appreciative for any help...

Also, have found a few of the components aren't available at Mouser... specifically q10, q11, q12, q13 (2sa1381, 2sc3503)... found the substitutes in the build guide to be available however.

I've built a cmoy and a o2, looking to build understanding and take on a larger project... I'd appreciate any assistance! Thanks!

-dt2511

Last edited:
Fantastic! i'll check it out.

Could we also perhaps ask for a hand from some of the more experienced members on the forum to vet this list? It'd provide a lot of value back to those building experience here to have a item-specific list for this project.

A little help please for us noobs?

Mouser Search Trick (for broader search)

Also, have found a few of the components aren't available at Mouser... specifically q10, q11, q12, q13 (2sa1381, 2sc3503)...
These might be listed as 2sa (japanese) or ksa (Fairchild) in the Mouser search. To blind the search to this difference omit either the 2 or the k. For example, search for sa1381 at Mouser and you will find it.

first step..., i've finished my board using toner transfer method.
hope this is the correct board to build this Amp.

Attachments

• 20120714_211619_diyAB.jpg
    20120714_211619_diyAB.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3,373
Electrolytic capacitor and transformer selection

This looks like really good documentation:
30+30Vac gives ~ +-42Vdc & ~ 70 to 80W into 8r0 and suits 4ohms speaker
35+35Vac gives ~ +-50Vdc & ~ 100 to 110W into 8r0 and suits 4ohm speaker
40+40Vac gives ~ +-59Vdc & ~ 140 to 160W into 8r0 and possibly suits 6ohms speaker
45+45Vac gives ~ +-68Vdc & ~ 190 to 210W into 8r0, does not suit lower impedance speaker.

The smoothing cap voltage ratings are
>=63Vdc suit 30Vac & 35Vac
>=80Vdc suits 45Vac. . .
If I have understood this correctly, it seems that some additional derating is possible. . .
I would think that with a 28+28vac transformer (suits 4 ohm speakers, also suits small size 8 ohm speakers), one might could get away with 50v caps except. . . it could be a justifiable expense that caps directly at the bridge rectifier be more durable 63v caps since they have a harder job to do.

Likewise, with using a 35+35vac transformer along with mostly 63v caps, I would think that the caps which do the majority of the smoothing work (those located closest to the bridge rectifier) could be the more durable 80v caps for longer lasting.

P.S.
Thanks to AndrewT for documenting which transformer voltage to put with a given speaker load.