Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

diyAB Amp  The "Honey Badger" build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2017, 11:01 AM   #2911
Kay Pirinha is online now Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

The higher the first filter capacitance, the smaller the diodes' conducting angle, the higher the peak current. Average current will stay the same at a given load, though, but we need to observe the diodes' peak current ratings and possibly the transformer's core saturation.

Best regards!
Old 4th November 2017, 04:05 PM   #2912
Ejje is offline Ejje  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
The higher the first filter capacitance, the smaller the diodes' conducting angle, the higher the peak current. Average current will stay the same at a given load, though, but we need to observe the diodes' peak current ratings and possibly the transformer's core saturation.

Best regards!
Okey, thats beyond my knowledge of diods and transformers..

This is the bridge rectifiers I'll be using.
(*Link to mouser*)
"Max Surge Current: 400 A"
"If - Forward Current: 35 A"
They should be able to handle some beating right?

I haven't seen any datasheets for my transformers. They are the "audio grade model" (*Link to Toroidy*)
Old 4th November 2017, 04:33 PM   #2913
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Find the total of all the secondary circuit resistances.
Find the open circuit secondary voltage.
Ipk = V/{total of secondary resistances}
But this is what happens when closing a switch on the secondary side after the transformer has already started. It is a worst case.
In practice the transformer secondary develops a rising output as the core flux builds during the start up phase. This gives a slowing effect to the initial charging current.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:33 PM   #2914
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kay Pirinha,
And that is my point exactly. There is usually a "happy point" where you have more than enough capacitance for the job at hand. Going beyond that typically causes various troubles. The use of a soft-start circuit helps the initial surge current, but the continuous charge pulses is called "hot switching current". This is what you need to be careful of. Those short duration peak currents can generate the hash, or noise that can be picked up by other circuits.

Hi Ejje,
It is generally okay to increase capacitance by 20% or so, but over that wouldn't be recommended. Any changes related to greatly increasing capacitance is generally an artifact of expectation bias. This is assuming a competently designed device with a reasonable amount of supply capacitance. There are times when excessive capacitance will actually help a poorly designed device, but correcting bad engineering with more bad engineering isn't generally going to result in a good balance for performance.

-Chris
Old 24th November 2017, 12:58 PM   #2915
Gonefishing is offline Gonefishing  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone, I have just purchased the Honey Badger boards and ordered most of the board components. I also ordered the UPS boards, I have a 1000VA 230V , 55V+55V toroidal transformer which I would like to use, is this too much? Should I order something with lower output voltages? I see from previous posts that the highest secondary voltages quoted for this build( that I have seen) are 45V.
Old 24th November 2017, 07:58 PM   #2916
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The Honey Badger can use 35Vac, or 40Vac transformers. You might get away with 30Vac to allow very high bias currents.
There may be some reports on using 45Vac transformers. You will need to search to see how successful they were.
55Vac is far too high.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:09 PM   #2917
helitim is offline helitim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The Honey Badger can use 35Vac, or 40Vac transformers. You might get away with 30Vac to allow very high bias currents.
There may be some reports on using 45Vac transformers. You will need to search to see how successful they were.
55Vac is far too high.
Mine is one of the 45V builds. It is still not assembled. Hopefully once I've finished installing my floors I will get a chance . I believe the build guide uses a similar 800VA - 45v x 2 to what I am using.

Random advice: If I had my time back, I would have chosen 30V - 40V secondaries. My current rails will be a little on the high side. I guess it depends on what you are driving with it
Old 25th November 2017, 07:28 PM   #2918
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew, I thought that was probably the case :-)
Old 25th November 2017, 07:30 PM   #2919
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitim View Post
Mine is one of the 45V builds. It is still not assembled. Hopefully once I've finished installing my floors I will get a chance . I believe the build guide uses a similar 800VA - 45v x 2 to what I am using.

Random advice: If I had my time back, I would have chosen 30V - 40V secondaries. My current rails will be a little on the high side. I guess it depends on what you are driving with it
Cheers for the advice Helitim, I'll go for 40V secondaries. I'm building some power hungry speakers so would like a bit of welly :-)
Old 25th November 2017, 09:29 PM   #2920
yngvejos is offline yngvejos  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitim View Post

Why would you choose 30-40V instead?
I have been running 800va with 45V secondaries (63V rails) since 2015 in my HB and It's still going strong.
I have tested it into a 4r dummy load close to clipping. The only thing that failed was the dummy load (4R 50W submerged in water) when I ran square waves through it.

I would choose 45V secondaries again if I should build another HB.

diyAB Amp  The "Honey Badger" build threadHide this!Advertise here!