diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 12:58 PM   #221
chunek is offline chunek  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi kclusa@yahoo.co, I have the same problem as you. If you have driller, you can get 0.8 to 1.2 mm drill bits to enlarge the hole. Just need to ensure that hole is not a via hole else you need to solder the lead on both side of tracks.

chunek!
Old 8th February 2013, 02:36 PM   #222
ncg2013 is offline ncg2013  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ncg2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclusa@yahoo.co View Post
0) I am assuming you are using the PCB supplied by the store. Otherwise, ignore all of my comment.
1) For D3, I had trouble fitting 1W diode through the PCB hole. I ended up with using resistor approach.
2) For 0.22R resistor, it is not the same package type as build guide shows. It will work if you don't mind unstable resistor mounting. I did the same thing as you, later on, switch all 12 to the smaller kind.
3) Those 220uF and 470uF Nichicon KW series capacitors are audio grade. You may or may not need 0.1uF capacitor. Also check whether the hole is large enough for those audio grade cap. Their leg maybe very thick in diameter. If I were you and prefer Nichicon, I will also purchase inexpensive Nichicon VR as a back up. They will fit although only for general purpose.
I was worried about components not fitting but I thought I could drill them if they don't - I have a dremmel and small bits so shouldn't be a problem. I shall check 0.22R resister and see what else is available.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:38 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
0) I am assuming you are using the PCB supplied by the store. Otherwise, ignore all of my comment.
1) For D3, I had trouble fitting 1W diode through the PCB hole. I ended up with using resistor approach.
2) For 0.22R resistor, it is not the same package type as build guide shows. It will work if you don't mind unstable resistor mounting. I did the same thing as you, later on, switch all 12 to the smaller kind.
3) Those 220uF and 470uF Nichicon KW series capacitors are audio grade. You may or may not need 0.1uF capacitor. Also check whether the hole is large enough for those audio grade cap. Their leg maybe very thick in diameter. If I were you and prefer Nichicon, I will also purchase inexpensive Nichicon VR as a back up. They will fit although only for general purpose.
How do the rest of the components stack up with yours? Have you finished yet? What did you use for Q5/6?
Old 8th February 2013, 03:35 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Default Re : Mouser BOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncg2013 View Post
How do the rest of the components stack up with yours? Have you finished yet? What did you use for Q5/6?
I was using the component from the XLS file published very early in this forum. Most of the capacitor are Panasonic FC series.

For Q6, I m just using KSA992.

I finished about few weeks ago. And updated my observation on this site. Please see #195 for detailed info and how I finalize the tuning. For whole system tuning, your bulk decoupling capacitor also play an important role.

I am sure distortion is important for most of the people. However, after the distortion number down to less than 1%, tuning the amp for my taste is as important as distortion. After all, my major application of this amp is not feeding 400Hz square wave and observe on the scope.

That is just my opinion. Any feedback is welcome.

Lou
Old 11th February 2013, 08:28 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

Anyone have some suggestions for the power supply caps? I am using the universal power supply PCB. I wanted to max out the capacitors C1 to C8 with 15000uf at 80v but I cannot find the right size or voltage anywhere.

I assume this gives me 150000uf per channel.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:10 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Default Re : Bulk Capacitor

Quote:
Anyone have some suggestions for the power supply caps? I am using the universal power supply PCB. I wanted to max out the capacitors C1 to C8 with 15000uf at 80v but I cannot find the right size or voltage anywhere.

I assume this gives me 150000uf per channel.
More capacitor does not necessarily mean better sound.
I would start with 20000uF per rail, tune it up.
If not satisfied, than adding one pair at a time.
It is O.K. to buy 8, left over can be used for next project anyway.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:29 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
More capacitor does not necessarily mean better sound.
I would start with 20000uF per rail, tune it up.
If not satisfied, than adding one pair at a time.
It is O.K. to buy 8, left over can be used for next project anyway.
If I was only going to use 20000uf per rail (assume 2 x 10000uf) then which capacitors should these be? Trying to figure this out from the schematic.
My guess would be C3, C8 and C1, C6. I take it leaving the other caps out would not effect the PSU?
Old 11th February 2013, 12:43 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Default Re : Bulk Cap

Quote:
If I was only going to use 20000uf per rail (assume 2 x 10000uf) then which capacitors should these be? Trying to figure this out from the schematic.
My guess would be C3, C8 and C1, C6. I take it leaving the other caps out would not effect the PSU?
You probably also need to short R1 - R8 assuming you are not using PI filter
Old 11th February 2013, 12:46 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You probably also need to short R1 - R8 assuming you are not using PI filter
yep, going to short them.
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:26 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Default I took the plunge!

I've wanted to build this amplifier for a while now. Well, over the last few days I made the commitment. I ordered:
  • a pair of Honey Badger boards
  • a pair of diyAudio power supply boards
  • The diyAudio speaker protection and the softstart boards
  • the back panel parts kit
  • the 5U value chassis (I can drill & tap holes myself)
  • an Antek AN 8435 (800VA, 35V secondaries)
  • An order from Mouser with 79 line items.
I can thank our recent snowstorm which kept me stranded at home all day yesterday. I spent most of yesterday choosing parts, and I had already spent hours on this task over the past few weeks! Much of the advice I found in this forum was very helpful. Thank you, all of you advice-givers!

I look forward to posting my progress and results.

-Byron

Hide this!Advertise here!