diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 06:55 PM   #181
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks OS, that would be great!
Old 18th January 2013, 07:10 PM   #182
diyAudio Member

Default 2sc1845 / F /P

Same goes for the NPN small signal. Q1/2 should be the Fxx. 3/4 -7/8 can be F or P (p is cheaper - .06c USD).
Mouser has many of each !! We won't run out (60,000+)
The "P" is discontinued and is sale priced.

For least offset ,do a basic B-E test on Q1/2 with the diode mode on a DMM.
Match within 5 on the last digit (example 711 -715 on DMM .. B-E). This will allow for near
0 offset with only 1/8 - 1/4 turn on R17 (DC offset).

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 18th January 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:47 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Question:
For a Honey Badger monobloc with 3xMJL3281, 3XMJL1302, and a load of 2.6DCR, then what what is the maximum transformer (in amperes) that will safety throttle before the outputs could be harmed? Specifically, I'm looking for the "maximized power" figure, such as 45+45vac in case of 8 ohm speakers, but need an answer in amperes to hold back the power in the case of 4 ohm speakers so that output device SOA cannot be exceeded. Assume worst case, music production use (digital organ, 32' stop, young caffeinated organist). How many amperes transformer is safe in these conditions?
The answer would be in amperes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
Dan -The fuses "throttle" the outputs.
Replacing the fuses each time the organist touches a bass pedal would be unsuccessful in a music production environment. If either fuses or outputs blow, the concert is ruined. Same question, different language: Given a monobloc with 45+45vac transformer and a 4 ohm speaker, what amperage transformer can protect the fuses via transformer throttling?

This is the same question: What amperage transformer can protect the concert via transformer throttling?
Old 18th January 2013, 11:14 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Default On fuses....

For a electronic organ (instrument amp) ,A Slo-blow fuse is often used.
They also fuse the speakers (audiophiles hate this).
EDIT - they also use breakers ...
For the 100ms SOA of the Badger outputs, a fast blow is used. Coincidentally, these fuses have the same .1 second T as the outputs SOA. If this fuse was 7 amps (I use this for my 4 OP device badger -"the prototype") , then it would pass 14 amps for 100ms. This point depends on the I2T of the fuse (time to melt) .

If one did use a Badger for extended Synth/Organ usage , just a small increase in fuse rating (fast blow- 8A)along with lower rail voltages 40-0-40Vac would make for an OP with 24A @100ms SOA (see chart below -mjl4281) and for 35-0-35vac trafo the 100ms SOA would be 30A! Of course , the fuses would blow at [rating X 2 - I2T] .... 16a , therefore saving the outputs.

For your EXACT question: This is what the OEM's do ! They use an "anemic" trafo that will cause the rails to drop to a lower voltage, therefore entering into a better region of the SOA (below - red arrow/ 50Vdc). An Antec 300VA at 45Vac will "sag" to 38-40vac at 10A (an estimate-based on antek's PDF). At this point you might blow the 7A or 8A fuse as well.
My final recommendation for a Badger "swiss army knife" would be the Antek as-3440 or as-4440 http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AS-4440.pdf + the MJL outputs.
1 per channel- dual mono... they are only 5.25" -4440 and 5" -3440
They also have dual 15vac secondaries for your DAC/other small signal "addons".

I would love to know what conditions could take this amp out if it is constructed in this way. (redundant safety considerations)

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (117.0 KB, 647 views)

Last edited by ostripper; 18th January 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:36 AM   #185
ncg2013 is offline ncg2013  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ncg2013
Default Toroid: Electrostatic screen or GOSS band?

Hi

After looking at toroids for this project I have a couple of questions.

Does it need and electrostatic band?

or a GOSS band, I know it reduces stray fields but does it need it in this amp? Or does it depend on where I place the toroid?
Old 21st January 2013, 01:42 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Not absolutely required (a band) ... but , why not ? (below) - http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/CA-xxx.pdf
These look real cool , as well.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enclosure.jpg (15.7 KB, 571 views)
Old 24th January 2013, 11:08 AM   #187
timH is offline timH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncg2013 View Post
Any transformer I have not bought one yet...
I'm just about to put a couple of transformers into the swap meet. They're 500va, 3230v primary, with 2 x 40-0-40 secondaries. so you could use one for a stereo amp or go macho using the two of them for a pair of monoblocs. I've been using them in Naim NAP135 clones but I'm upgrading to HackerNAP amps (from pinkfishmedia forum) which is similar design but have split front end and output stages and runs at different voltages. Details and photolinks by the weekend

Tim
Old 25th January 2013, 12:54 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
. . . and for 35-0-35vac trafo the 100ms SOA would be 30A! Of course , the fuses would blow at [rating X 2 - I2T] .... 16a, therefore saving the outputs.
So, if I wanted to attempt protecting both the outputs and fuses?
http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AN-4235.pdf
That's the transformer choice for nonstop service in rough conditions music production use?

And a weird alternative:
Automotive 15a? "Short Stop" automatic circuit breaker in parallel with high wattage 3 ohm power resistor, used as speaker jack protector. Well, that was the basic idea, but actually how much Short Stop device amperage and how much resistor ohms do I need to build an effective short protection device. . . that can stop a short but not stop a concert? I suppose with higher voltage transformer we'd need the 10a short stop?
Old 25th January 2013, 01:28 AM   #189
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
So, if I wanted to attempt protecting both the outputs and fuses?
use a resetable magnetic circuit breaker instead..Tyco Electronics - Telecom OSP US ......fuses are meant to be replaced, they get broken instead of the traffo burning out....with output devices, blown fuses means shorted output devices, they get fried followed by the fuses IME....

PHOENIX CONTACT | Device circuit breakers
Old 25th January 2013, 01:36 AM   #190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timH View Post
I've been using them in Naim NAP135 clones but I'm upgrading to HackerNAP amps (from pinkfishmedia forum) which is similar design but have split front end and output stages and runs at different voltages.
Referring to the Honey Badger schematic, I see it does have this dual voltage feature. Look at the top of the schematic.

Power section:
First the DC cable comes in at fuse||22R (F1+R53) and then charges up the 470u+100n (C13+C12). This section runs the outputs and drivers at full voltage.

Front end (small signal) section:
Next, there is a series element, not regs, capmulti or diode drop, but it is present--It is a resistor, 22R (R32). After the series element, the 220u||100n (C11+C10) charge up.

Lower voltage at front end:
The 22R (R32) is set against 24.6 ohms (R20 R21 R22 R23 R51) shunt as a voltage divider. Due to different amounts of current per each shunt, it is beyond my ability to calculate the resulting voltage change. I'm definitely not a math whiz. However, I DO see a voltage divider. Unlike active devices, the passive resistor doesn't insert any extra HF noise. It looks like a nice clean & cool way to run the front end at lower voltage than the outputs.

Hide this!Advertise here!