diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 04:45 PM   #111
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

You have omitted the RF attenuating capacitor.
There are some other parasitic capacitances, but I think they can be ignored since cable capacitance and RF capacitance swamp them all.
You also omitted the resistive attenuator formed by 820r/33k. Taking this into account and putting back in the plus1 omitted from the gain calculation brings you back to the same ~0.87Vac.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:07 PM   #112
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Good question,
I've deleted a lot of posts that are not about building the diyAB "Honey Badger" amp.
Please respect the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
Does this conversation above really fit into this build thread?

Last edited by Variac; 4th November 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:27 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Default OStripper's original testing conditions for Honey Badger.

Variac, I hope this post is okay. If not then I apologize, and do feel free to edit or delete.

Power input:
During the original test, OStripper's transformer was 28+28vac (a 56vct most likely a high current center tap transformer recycled from an integrated amplifier of the 70's or 80's). He used a simplified power board with a central star ground.

Signal input:
He tested Honey Badger with not only high quality sound files (a music replay test) but also the much more difficult job of digital virtual instrument with the demands of live dynamics (a music production test). The source used during that testing is one or more of these:
M-Audio audiophile series sound card.
Audigy sound card with either KX drivers or linux.
M-Audio Revo sound card.
*The above sound cards don't require a buffer.

Output:
Honey Badger was tested to drive 3-way speakers with large size woofers, easily and at high resolution.

P.S.
Given the original test conditions above, I believe that OStripper made Honey Badger suitable for both home and prosound work. I appreciate this capacity for production and likewise truly authentic replay. Thank you.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 5th November 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:44 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Build Question:
Has someone made a Honey Badger to the larger scale of 44+44vac transformer and NJL or MJL output devices in triple parallel? If so, I'd love to know your gain setting and what sources and speakers you are actually using with this very powerful amplifier.
Old 6th November 2012, 01:53 AM   #115
diyAudio Moderator

The prototype in the official build guide used 44Vx2 transformer and the big output devices in triple parallel. The gain setting is still as pointed out by OS.

It drove a pair of Wharfdale 9.1 bookshelf speakers and a pair of Wharfdale 9.5 floor standers.

It was tested to be driven by a multitude of sources, from passive preamps + iPod via LOD, cdp, etc. Tested with an opamp based preamp, and with an Aikido tube preamp and a 2C51 based tube preamp. Right now I am using a Phonic 440D mixer as it's preamp.

I hope this covers all your doubts about how easy it is to drive the amp.
Old 6th November 2012, 07:34 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Yes indeedy! That's all I needed to know. Thank you!!!
Old 17th November 2012, 12:38 PM   #117
jimchan is offline jimchan  Norway
diyAudio Member

Just received the boards and 'Big Amp' Chassis..... now to work out the layout and order some bits.

quick initial questions :
- Is it recommended to mount the boards horizontal against the heatsinks ? just wondering if it would be more space efficient to mount them vertical ?

- For a dual transformer / power supply arrangement, would be better for weight distribution to mount one Rear Left, and the other Front Right. The power input would then be at the correct end of the boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honey Badger 1.jpg (763.0 KB, 1177 views)
Old 17th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

mount it with the trafo's side by side at the front. and PSU's side by side behind the trafo's. the amp boards can be mounted higher up. so the trafo's and PSU's clear the amp boards.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:16 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchan View Post
Just received the boards and 'Big Amp' Chassis..... now to work out the layout and order some bits.

quick initial questions :
- Is it recommended to mount the boards horizontal against the heatsinks ? just wondering if it would be more space efficient to mount them vertical ?

- For a dual transformer / power supply arrangement, would be better for weight distribution to mount one Rear Left, and the other Front Right. The power input would then be at the correct end of the boards.
Personally, I would "flat mount" the amplifier boards horizontal against the heatsinks, with standoff spacers similar to a computer motherboard (but I'd use slightly taller spacers than those). Flat mount (against the heatsinks) will effectively keep the small signal farthest away from the transformers. And the output devices would be really close to the bottom of the enclosure, so that, conveniently all the wiring hookup is within easy reach nearer the top of the enclosure (far away from transformers.

I'd make left channel cables exactly the same length as right channel cables.

And, personally, I would include a buffered preamp with a Bypass/Cancel switch for the front panel probably marked "turbo" so that preamp can be engaged for extra loud playback or bypassed/off for lower volume playback without the insertion loss of a preamp. Its just my personal theory that every high power amp needs a switched marked "turbo"

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 17th November 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:27 AM   #120
jimchan is offline jimchan  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks for comments. The chassis is so big, that I start to realise there are quite a few options for placement of boards + trafs inside. For the turbo idea, would the chassis also need a spoiler for this option?

What kind of supports are recommended to attach the pcbs to the heatsink?

Has anyone else checked Daniel's BOM mouser suggestions for the BOM boards ? Daniel, have you chosen these components for cost, or quality?

For the Dual Power Supply / dual traffo recommendations, I guess I need to read up on the Power Supply Forums.

Hide this!Advertise here!