jfet preamp - does a jfet exist that'll work at just 5V supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default jfet preamp - does a jfet exist that'll work at just 5V supply?

Subject says it all really...I'm constrained to only using a jfet, but I really want to use the single 5V rail I intend using in this circuit ...else I'm faced with having to add in an additional supply just to feed the jfet!

The other constraint is that the jfet must be self biased, with it's gate grounded via a high resistor (which rules mosfets and opamps out)

Top tips on any jfets that'll operate ok at 5V supply welcomed!
Old 27th April 2012, 03:15 PM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

actually several CMOS op amps work with input CM V at the rail or even ~100 mV beyond - in fact its a easily searchable class: "rail-to-rail" input (and often output)

sw-C V inverter chips let you invert supplies cheaply, there is even op amp incorporating the sw-C inverter internally

Last edited by jcx; 27th April 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 27th April 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks but like I say ....I *must* use a jfet ...opamps are out (I tried a dual rail opamp & therefore mid point biasing to ground, but it wasn't any good).....I want to keep this with the lowest jfet count possible...hence seeking a single jfet to perform the task.

Now I'm fairly new to jfets...I understand how they work etc, but not experienced enough to know of a particular jfet that will operate as low as 5v rail...and wondered if anyone on here did?

Last edited by peskywinnets; 27th April 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 27th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You'll need a jfet with low Vp and high gm0 like the BF246A or 247A or some japanese types specially designed for electret microphone amplifiers. Select them for low Vp. Then even a SRPP is possible at 5V.
2SK170 (Vp= -0,2...-1,5V), 2SK190 (-0,15..-1,5V)
Old 27th April 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I guess this is a pretty niche area, becuase none of your suggested jfets I can source. I also stumbled across this one...TF202THC ...which might be a contender, but again, unless i buy 8,000, then I can't source!
Old 27th April 2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Banned

Why are opamps out of the question ?
Old 27th April 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just has a rummage in my components tray and found a PMBFJ110....a quick check of the datasheet, reveals it might be a contender, but I can't see the gm0 figure you mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
Why are opamps out of the question ?
Opamps are out the question as I want the input to be biased at 0V with no DC blocking cap, which means a dual rail supply...I don't want to go there (& the testing I did with opamps wasn't encouraging vs a single jfet & two resistors)

Last edited by peskywinnets; 27th April 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 27th April 2012, 04:15 PM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

which means you don't understand any of the terms in my post?
Old 27th April 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
which means you don't understand any of the terms in my post?
I did, but equally, you clearly haven't locaked in to my comment about NOT using opamps!
Old 27th April 2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Banned

What is the application ? Is it an amplifier or just a inverter ? Even the single jfet amplifier needs its gate biased somewhere between GND and Vcc = coupling cap needed.

If its just a inverter, theres ttl and cmos logic which is designed for 3.3 and 5 volts.

Hide this!Advertise here!