Cyrus One Bias Issue - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2012, 09:09 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hi Jitter,
Well, that was the "only" difference I found in my unit...but somewhere in some forum I saw other people stating that they have the same 220uF caps, instead of the 100uF....
I was also guessing that also this could be relate to the bias issue. Those caps are the one close the the power transistors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitter View Post
OK, sorry, I misunderstood the meaning of "gone" here.
I seems that C53-C56 are also not according to the schematics in pampalini's Cyrus One.
Old 29th April 2012, 09:16 PM   #32
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Personally, with all these discrepancies between service manual and actual device creeping up, I'd stay off the bias current. Who's to say that the bias current stated in the service manual is still valid for your version of the amp?

Perhaps now would be a good time to contact Cyrus.

Last edited by jitter; 29th April 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:03 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with you! The amp is, at the moment, working very good, so no reason to messing up it....
But as soon I will have some spare time, I will check those resistor values, just out of curiosity...and of course I agree with you that is a good idea to write an email to Cyrus Audio, just to know if they have some information about my unit...thanks everybody for the advice and help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitter View Post
Personally, with all these discrepancies between service manual and actual device creeping up, I'd stay off the bias current. Who's to say that the bias current stated in the service manual is still valid for your version of the amp?

Perhaps now would be a good time to contact Cyrus.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:16 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Referring to the whole amplifier, I believe there were at least 7 revisions. It is quite possible that revisions to the board silk-screen were never made, once they were manufactured.

I would not expect usual quality assurance measures in this situation, where there is a need to trim the bias in production - long after the board is made. It does not make sense to make revisions for this but obviously, nobody thought about the manual and service procedures, unless your manual is the problem because it does not include all model revisions or is not the correct issue. They don't come with the product, so I wonder what you have. Does it contain any revision notes?The capacitor changes could just as well be due to parts availability. Changing electros don't change DC conditions. so bias will be the same.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:09 AM   #35
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If this had been made by a Japanese company, each revision would come with a claim of "new wonderful discovery of fantastic topology that results in perfect music reproduction"
Old 1st May 2012, 10:45 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quite likely - but being Taiwanese PCBs, perhaps the promo. aspect wasn't such a good idea anywayl.

Hide this!Advertise here!