Amplifier close to PC = no go ?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing a mini hybrid studio/av saloon furniture and was advise by some hifi shop expert that it would be a bad idea to leave the PC very close to the amplifier due to the RF shielding of both not being perfect. Is this really a question ? I mean, I thought that both having metal cases (even if perforated) there's no way that waves can get in there. Some amps even have the heatsinks around some of the circuits to protect them.
Does this make any sense or I better have them a few meters far away ? How close is too close ?

Some PC's are just fine with verry low emissions and some arn't. It's also possible for bad noises to be conducted through the power lines. I suggest that you go ahead and put them where it makes sence and be prepaired to move if nessisary. Even if you have noise from the PC being picked up by the amp there are some "tricks" that can sometimes help, like grounding the chassis of either or both. Good Luck!

"...I suggest that you go ahead and put them where it makes sence and be prepaired to move if nessisary."
That's precisely what I want to avoid. If I start changing stuff around it will also have other implications, like speaker wire lengths..

"Even if you have noise from the PC being picked up by the amp there are some "tricks" that can sometimes help, like grounding the chassis of either or both."
Sometimes is not good enouph for me, I want to design the space and furniture taking those things into account in the 1st place to avoid any complications in the future and have the best possible specs. So I guess it does make sense to pull them apart.

"Good Luck!"
Thanks mate :) :up:

It is an inverse square law thing. If you place them right next to each other there is a good chance you will have coupling of noise. If you space them one chassis size apart that will reduce it and by 7 chassis size it should be even hard to measure.

However even though it can be measured does not always mean you will hear it.

There is a bigger issue of coupling through the AC power feeds. Grounding the case or cases will have no useful results. Adding an AC filter is only marginal as the computer probably already has one, but as it is not very expensive you may wish to try it.

For more info see http://www.audioamateur.com/media/simon2944.pdf

Modern EMC testing should preclude any major electronic noise from being transmitted from your PC.

Are you familiar with the standards? They do vary a bit. The IEC standards are quite pricey. The US are free.

Equipment not intended for home use is allowed to be noisier than other gear. The levels vary by frequency range. Interference that is more obvious is treated more seriously.

I have been doing a bit measuring the affects of noise on audio gear. Turns out some gear is quite seriously affected by even low levels.

Then there is the issue of vibration from the computer's fan. The correct formula for a capacitor is C dv/dt + V dc/dt = i.

dc/dt comes from vibrating the capacitor. So particularly in vacuum tube equipment where you can have V of 100++ volts a dc/dt of -120 db may become an issue! (20 log(100 x .000001/.001) might just scare you!)

As long as your PC is in a metal box, and is grounded/earthed, theres no problem. On the other hand, what you might get is lousy sound cards (especially onboard sound) leaking power supply noise on their line outs. The solution to this is simple - use an external DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.