Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2003, 11:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 57 deg C on a carbon film resistor ?

A couple of resistors in one of my circuits are going up to 57 deg C ( constant temp).
They are 2 watt types. Is this an acceptable temperature ? It is about 25 deg C above ambient.
The resistors have a maximum rating of about 150deg C and I wanted to know if anyone knows the long term effects if it is run at 57 dec .
Thanks.
Old 5th October 2003, 12:07 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, the resistance will certainly be different than at room temp. Noise, too. The resistors will survive, but given how cheap they are, I'd make myself happy and put some 4 or 5 watters in that position (doubled-up 2 watters, or 5 watt metal oxide).
Old 5th October 2003, 04:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Good idea.

Hi Sy,
I was considering that earlier but was not sure if the temperature rise was acceptable. this is just a resistor feeding a zener diode from a 300 volt supply. But I remember having problems ( not my board ) of resistors slowly degrading the pcb at the point of entry of the leads due to high temperatures. I am using glass epoxy boards - still !

yes I think I will use a 5 watter.
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!