Adcom 545II quirk?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting find with my 545II when hooked up to my three way speaker pair.
About five seconds following shutdown, the amp gives a very faint squeal through the left channel and about one second later the right channel exudes a slightly louder "squall" such as a tonearm stylus being drug slowly over an album, :eek:
Nothing loud or damaging but consistent.
The kicker, when my Polk speakers are substituted the issue disappears.
Only this particular amp has the issue with this set of speakers.
One modification to the three ways was changing the 10% Electrolytics to 1% PMPC caps. The enclosures both measure 6.85 ohms, sound very good and check out flat with an SA3050.
Just a quirk, weak component?
Lend me your thoughts.

This is a common occurrence among the Adcom amplifiers. I have a GFA-555 with all new caps, including the filter caps, and it does the same thing. I disagree about the old ones being the culprit as mine did not start until I replaced them. Nothing to worry about.

My Leach started doing this.

I changed the 100µF on the front end, and the 22µF on the output stage, left the computer grade main filter caps alone, and it quieted right down, the bass got tight again (I also changed the cap in the feedback loop).

I've added main filter bypass caps to other brand amplifiers that were making this noise and they quiet right down.

"Nothing to worry about. "

Your tweeters may tend to disagree.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.