WANTED Sanken S-40W amplifier module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks, it would appear that I am not the first to ask this question, but opened a new thread anyway to that I get current info. I need a Sanken S-40W amplifier module, for an old JVC amp. I ordered one from China but it arrived faulty, with a short circuit much the same as the old one it replaced, and that was the last one they had in stock.
Does anyone here by chance have one that they would be willing to sell or know where I can find one? Any help is appreciated, as always :)

These modules have not been manufactured for years, so if you find one, its 99.9% guranteed to be counterfeit, especially if its on ebay.

Its likely very similar to the STK series of amp modules.

Because these modules are so hard to come by, it may be a better option to rebuild the amp with something like a dx amp, or an apex amp, or an aksa amp or something, reusing the chassi, heatsink and power transformer.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
SUGGESTION: If you are given an amplifier for any purpose, look inside. If you see modules, you drop it quickly and run, before it requires you to spend more time and money than anyone will pay you for it. The older it is, the more expensive and difficult to deal with.
Your first buying experience and a widely held view that such amps are cheap crap should tell you that anyway. :no: :no:

@Ian: I understand your suggestion, however I bought this amplifier as faulty because it was cheap. Prior to purchasing, I downloaded the service manual and got the part number of the module, and located one from china for $15 US, so I bought it knowing I could obtain the parts at a good price. When the replacement part arrived it was a genuine Sanken item, but it was second hand and faulty, so now finding another one is the difficult part because they only had one. I have ordered other parts from the same website, and never had any problems.

And @ mickeymoose, S-40W is the part number.

If I can't find one, I will likely use the existing heatsink and transformer etc and go down the STK route. The amp was spec'd at 40W/channel, and the rails are + and - 32V. Can anyone suggest a good STK chip (2 channel preferred but two mono amps okay) thats cheap and readily available?

Don't waste time using the stk modules, they are also obsolete and hard to get.

Whats available for sale today is most likely counterfeit modules. I believe poduction of the stk modules was shut down as early as the mid 90's if not even in the late 80's.

The best option is to drop the modules and instead build a well known discrete design with modern parts.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
....I bought it knowing I could obtain the parts at a good price. When the replacement part arrived it was a genuine Sanken item, but it was second hand and faulty, so now finding another one is the difficult part because they only had one...
Yes, that is precisely my experience of attempting repairs to hyrid module based amplifiers. I have wrestled with this problem of unobtanium, bad sources and obsolete critical components for many years, even with the wiser heads and purchasing power of local technicians.

The part price is not usually an issue but there are the interminable searches. freight charges and sifting of genuine parts from substitutes that aren't, due to pinouts and issues that require unpublished work-arounds, etc, and so on. I think collectively, from around 2000, we had about 25% success finding and substituting obsolete audio modules. To add insult, they sounded disappointing, even with restoration work. That was not just my opinion, clients would say so, as they hadn't realised the changes in audio since the 70s or 80s.

If you value the case, preamp and power supply, a positive approach for little cash is to scrap the amplifier section and fit standard 40W LM3886 chip-amp modules from Flea-bay or your favourite high-price electronics store. These sound great and do much more than hybrids without needing external protection. A pretty easy fit with small Chinese boards, I would think.

If you are also confident with finding and wiring the necessary signal, output and power/earth/signal earth leads, you could have quite a good DIY result :).
Check Rod Elliott's ESP site for a good rap, run-down and another PCB source for these. Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)

The Sanken SP-40W hybrid does not use LAPT (High frequency multi emitter transistor) chips.

Attachments

• Sanken-2 chip.jpg
    Sanken-2 chip.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 483
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.