Voltage divider?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I want to record the output of my amplifier to show that all amplifiers DON'T sound the same (It's an argument on a another forum).

I have a 60watt per channel Onix OA21 integrated amp. It's modified with some huge polypropylene caps taped to the top of the case (they won't fit in the box). If I change the Ansar polys to Mundorf, I can notice quite a large difference in sound quality and would like to record the difference.

I have a laptop (or PC) with Audacity for recording and an M-audio Mobilepre USB.

Would it be possible to build a voltage divider, so I can take the speaker outputs of my amplifier into my PC or Mobilepre (I asssume it would be better through the mobilepre)?

What do you think Guys?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The amplifiers must be driving the speakers as a load too.

It's an interesting idea. My first thoughts are that you won't see (or be able to record) anything different tbh.

Perhaps prove the recording theory with two totally different amps or using one channel loaded and then unloaded.

Search out and read the comparison papers.

I think it was Cordell that said something along the lines of
" all amplifiers sound the same when properly designed to pass the signal".

"it's when they are asked to misbehave that they sound different".

When you find his actual quote, I expect it reads a lot different, but I think I have implied a roughly similar message.

I think it was Cordell that said something along the lines of
" all amplifiers sound the same when properly designed to pass the signal".

"it's when they are asked to misbehave that they sound different".

When you find his actual quote, I expect it reads a lot different, but I think I have implied a roughly similar message.

How would that help my argument?

if you are happy that your can hear differences in your amps, why bother yourself with proving other people wrong? especially if you have to ask here how to do it? why not just sit down, relax and enjoy the music, after all this is what this hobby is all about isn't it?

A simple voltage divider as described above should do fine. Don't get your hopes up. Most sonic differences are very shy, and tend to vaporize into the ether when you try to prove they exist. Also, when audible differences do exist, it's usually because something is wrong. Giant caps outside the box, with differing strays to ground probably do change the sound, but probably not for the reasons you think. It's not really a fair comparison when the amps have differing frequency response or if one is unstable or if one is picking up RF on external components. IMO, if it weren't for all the non-obvious pitfalls, high end audio might not exist at all.

Anybody remember the name of that program that lets you subtract two recordings and hear/see the difference? I seem to remember that it will only work with digital sources, as analog sources can't hold speed accurately enough. That might be your best tool for this sort of thing.

If I can hear a difference why wouldn't I be able to record it?

Unfortunately, this task (measuring of listenable differences) is really difficult one, and most probably one will not be able to proove something, except for the case if an extensive research program would be financed by somebody.
Even interconnects in your measuring setup will be able to hide all the differences.
Using this situation, many manufacturers are glad to deal with THD and IMD only, and to win competition according to these scholastic parameters, not related with listening impressions.

if you are happy that your can hear differences in your amps, why bother yourself with proving other people wrong? especially if you have to ask here how to do it? why not just sit down, relax and enjoy the music, after all this is what this hobby is all about isn't it?

Because some of those guys need knocking down a peg or two. They are patronising and rude.

The comparison method and jig enables one to listen to and to measure the "difference".

That is what you are trying to achieve.

You want to show that the amplifiers can sound different.

Sorry, things were a bit hectic earlier and as a result, I couldn't think properly.

Your idea could work (on normal people) - The thing is, these people are so sure that "all competently designed amplifiers sound the same", that i'm almost certain they will dismiss any papers, for whatever reason they choose to believe.

Here's the thread: Nutters

Hi,

With 1K and 33 R to 100R you don't need 10 watt resistors at all.
1W standard types will be fine for 1K, even lower for 33R to 100R.

Give it a go and see if you can reliably identify the different files.

Create 4 copies of each difference file, and get someone to randomly
assign letters A to H to each file but save if they are file 1 or 2 for
each letter. Then see if you can tell, don't assume that you can.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.