About my amps mains connections - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2003, 03:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Cool...I will be waiting for it...
Old 4th October 2003, 03:54 PM   #12
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
Guess there are no better ways...only a clean relay will do...
well u can use scr's or triacs instead of relays ,its quiet and u dont have to worry how long will they last , but those are far more expensive
Old 4th October 2003, 04:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

SCRs...cool stuff...how many amps will they have to be rated...they aren't really expensive...especially sice you can get some samples from On-semi...but that would mean a power on the gate...meaning it would be close to the full live potential?? or does it just have to be a small signal to switch it on???
Old 4th October 2003, 04:02 PM   #14
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd stick with the relays. SCRs and Triacs tend to make low level hash on the AC line and can be wonderful electrical noise generators.

Later BZ
Old 4th October 2003, 04:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmmm....but still will there be a "super-;ong lasting" relay?? seems they are prone to dying...ahd one crap out in the protection of my amp...took me hours to find it...coz I didn't expect it to fail...replaced the whole channel...just to find that the relay was the culprit...had 2 internal contacts...only 1 was faulty...wonder why...
Old 4th October 2003, 04:23 PM   #16
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
there are scrs available for 1KW of power and higher ,
it works like a switch so the power dissipation is low

noise ? well some amps sensitive to noise , my is not
i'm using voltage regs for input stages
plus most amps that got a current source in the input stage LTP are not sensitive to small noise generated by the power supply
Old 4th October 2003, 04:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

triacs/scr`s are more reliable than relays as I use both in my controls and like any electronic component they have to be treated as such......the on/off cycle life of a triac is far greater than a relay but has to be properly filtered like any electronic component.....it comes down to basic design sense....triacs can become noisy when using them for phasing amplitude but when used as a simple switch they are not any worse than a relay

DIRT®
Old 4th October 2003, 11:20 PM   #18
Rudy is offline Rudy  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Build this little bugger about a year ago

notes
- relais 1 = mains on
- relais 2 = shorting the currentlimit resistors
- SW1 & D20, i used this one, offcourse the blue one
- R18 is not needed, but it makes the diode to "glow", so you can see if your mains is connected and your 12V supply is on. You need to adjust R17 & R18 if u use a different LED
- You offcourse also need a 12V DC supply
- Dont look at the connections on the TIL111, the pinout is wrong ( not the schematic, just the pins )
- Delay is about 1 sec, adjustabel with R20

For the resistors, don't skip in the budget here, make sure you have about 10Wresistor / 100VA transformer.

Now, the reason why you use this, is already known, you can use a smaller value for the fuse for the main transformer, but try to adjust the resistor ( inrushcurrentresistor ) value to a level that your fuse is smaller then the VA value off the transformer, i use 1.25A for my 300VA transfo, sow if i short my secundairy side, the fuse blows. With the value that is recommended by the manufacturer ( 3A = 700VA ?, the fuse never blows, only the transfo gets hot ) This way your transfo wil never be distroyed.

If you need the rest off the schematic just ask it was to big do to it at once

Greetz Rudy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a01 - schematic.jpg (62.8 KB, 251 views)
Old 5th October 2003, 01:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Is there a simpler way to do it?? Say with a triar (SCR) instead of a relay and because it's an SCR it will be latching...so a 555 timer will do right???
Old 5th October 2003, 03:43 AM   #20
Rudy is offline Rudy  Belgium
diyAudio Member

the reason why it is so big is simply the use off a button, not a switch, and the use off the opto and the bridge for that one.

For the SCR's, i just don't like them, i don't put a generator in my amp in combination with an antenna ( transformer ). Relais don't last as lang as the scr, but your telling me you or gonna use your amp for 40years ? I don't think so, and then so what, just replace it after 20 years of so, its max 5buks, sjeez.

And if you are not experienced witch SCR's, meening no RC and proper driving it, hell, it won't last a week. Just a switch and a SCR is a very BAD solution imo. But the same has to be told about the relais, if you use a RC circuit on the relais contacts you won't need to be worried for a few decades.

Greetz Rudy

Hide this!Advertise here!