Pics of my new 4 Channel AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Piertr

I have a good collection of articles &
amp projects from old Aus & Uk mags.
Even have the original tilbrook article
for the 5000, some good info/theory in there

Ive got the full AEM parts 1,2 & 3
what info do you need. Perhaps I should reinstall my scanner.
Im rebuilding my 6005, still deciding to keep it or replace amps modules with something else (ASKA are sooo expensive)

steverb said:
Ive got the full AEM parts 1,2 & 3
what info do you need. Perhaps I should reinstall my scanner. Im rebuilding my 6005...

Hey, cool! Our 'redesign' of the AEM6000 is coming along, slowly, but if you can send me scans of the articles (I'm missing parts 1, 3 & 4) that would be most excellent. I guess basically I would like to read the articles and glean some more insight into the design philosophies and why's, which Tilbrook seems good about writing. The articles I have are good and I could get by without the rest but some extra details would be nice. If you're interested in what we are doing drop me a line.

Cheers!

AEM6005 upgrade

Hi Piertr,

I also built Tilbrooks' amps back in the 1980s. I still have most of the AEM articles on his designs and considered doing some modifications until I saw Stochino's design published in EW.

I think Tilbrook amps were among the best DIY projects in those times. The ETI5000 needed some modifications to make the best out of it but afterwards it was a nice amp. The AEM6000 was notably better. I remember that Dave Tilbrook claimed its slew rate to be over 70V/us. I do not remamber anyone writing about slew rates on pages of Australian magazines since then. Not much has been said about TIMs either.

Anyway, have you managed to finalise redesigning of your AEM6005 amp? If yes, I would be interested in the results. And maybe others as well.

Cheers,

aem6010 a

anyone have a schematic for the aem6010 preamp that went with this
Found an old pcb, think it was finished, not sure.

and yes, I did build the eti5000 nice amp for the times.
aem6000 improved high frequency (top end)

Ps still have the eti5000, bridged and used as a subwoofer amp at present.

Need phono/preamp found the aem6010 and thought??

pcb layout is very good, maybe able to reserect it and improve.

AEM 6010 preamp

Hi Awpagan,

I think I have it somewhere. It was quite complex design as in those times good OP-AMPs were rare - hence a discrete solution was preferred. Moreover, OP-AMPs of those days were a little bit lacking here and there.

Anyway, I'll try to find it and scan it into jpg format. Do you need just RIAA phono stage or the control unit as well?

Cheers,

aem6010

thanks januz
mainly the riaa, but the full schematic would be very useful
the boards are fully populated, I cut the wires(connections) years ago to use the case for something else.
Could be interesting to complete and maybe improve as it was class a discrete preamp.
Last thing i remember i was chasing an earth loop when i was sidetracked.

aem6010

Found the schematic and pcb layout for the preamp
No phono RIAA
looks like it didn't have one?
also found front switch and rear socket pcb's

Was there a phono section on this preamp?

Never heard of the 6005?

what were the upgrades(improvements)?

preamp used =/-35volt lines
now thats headroom

aem6010

Hi Awpagan,

I found it and have already scanned 6 pages covering the schematics and pcb layouts for the RIAA and the reminder of the preamp. The control unit with tone controls has never been published. I forgot about it. The only problem is that these jpg files are large so send me email and I will email these scans directly to you. I did it in Corel Paint. Resolution: 360dpi. Compression factor: 102. I did not want to compress it too much. The largest scan is still 1.7MB. My direct email is:

janusz.pradzynski@dpi.wa.gov.au

Cheers,

aem6010

jansz
sent email
I’ve found the schematics for the preamp and phono section

Also found pcb layouts for everything except phono section.

Main item I could use is the component overlay for the phono pcb.

As I’m missing a three components.

Once i have the preamp working i'll look at ways to improve.
ps
it uses LM394's on the imput!
not bad for published november 1985
for anyone esle which are better LM394 or MAT02?
any opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.