VAS/Driver Transistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there is alot of choices, but typically i only have certain range to choose. The circumstances which i couldn't find any source to buy such transistor, if there are good transistor for VAS & Driver, plus you have the reliable source to buy, please let me know.

2SA1209/2SC2911
2SA1360/2SC3423
2SA1541/2SC3955

Not much better here. So many are no longer made. Keep googling if Digi-Key, Allied, Newark or Mouser does not have them. A lot seem to be 5000 quantity or more. Try different search engines. It took me three days to find parts for a Kenwood 9100 I am fixing. I DID find the 1360's from American Microsemiconductor.

yeah, agree. Is it because most of those are made into IC form ? rather than discrete which is popular few decades ago.

I don't think there is anymore of those in production, only output device is widely in production. (BC550/560 also in production, hurray ^^)

Would like those that could be attached to heatsink, and fast ^^

I mostly use 2N5401 and 2N5551 for input stage and VAS, but BC54x and BC55x works too, even 2N3904 and 2N3906 works.
tekko,
for my personal taste, i think 2N5401/2N5551 has lower speed than I expected, 2N3904 have low Vce.

However, both of them could use for input stage, but for VAS its not suitable for me because it is not ideal for heat dissipation. BC550/560 would 'nicely' seat between both of them.

The required characteristics for a VAS transistor and a Driver transistor are quite different.

Look at Greg's tables of suitable devices for each of these two categories.
Hm.... i looked before on greg's table, but those device also not easy to be found recently.
However, i knew there are different in requirement between VAS and driver, but could you explain in details for me ? (i'm more blurry on driver requirement)
To my understand, VAS is kinda superior to drivers except in aspect of heat dissipation ?

Depends on what you are driving. My MOSFET does fine with 2N5551's, but not for a BJT. (300Mhz too). You really need to test your devices. Some are fine, some are back-door rejects and some are out right fakes. Why someone would fake a 2N2222 I don't know. A bit of solvent identified a different non-standard number under the paint. I had a batch of On-Semi 5550's that the Hfe measured as "sort of".

Did Fairchild plan to stop the production of those? (KSC3503/KSA1381)
The Fairchild web site < Product Search Results > shows that only the "D" gain bin (Hfe = 60 to 120) version of the KSC3503 is available; and only the "E" gain bin (Hfe = 100 to 200) version of the KSA1381 is available. Rather misleading to call them "complementary" if they aren't available in the same gain bin!

Dale

I know there is alot of choices, but typically i only have certain range to choose. The circumstances which i couldn't find any source to buy such transistor, if there are good transistor for VAS & Driver, plus you have the reliable source to buy, please let me know.

2SA1209/2SC2911
2SA1360/2SC3423
2SA1541/2SC3955
Does anybody know of suitable types that are available in surface-mount packages, such as SOT-223 or SOT89? I have stumbled across the NXP PBSS8110/PBSS9110 when doing searches, but nobody seems to be using them.

Dale

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Same factors like vas transistor, although here hfe isnt too important, the cascode allows the vas transistor to be a small signal to92 without compromising SOA. The big bennefit with this is that it allows very high hfe vas transistors to be used even darlingtons can be used, these types of transistors dont come in high voltage versions. The high hfe considerbly lowers the load on the LTP and improves performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.