New Tex Instruments op amp utilities

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the Fourth Quarter edition of "Analog Applications Journal" is out from Texas Instruments.

There is a good article (actually there are a couple good articles) but the one I found almost humorous was that describing the wrong way of attenuating a signal with an op amp -- in fact the attenuators turn into oscillators by making Rg>>Rf, TI has an interactive inverting opamp attenuator webtool on their website.:

http://focus.ti.com/analog/docs/art...amplifierdesignutilities_home&articleType=brc

Tweak

this is a tweak:

Attachments

• tweak.jpg
    tweak.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 571
Is Fred correct?

the "offset" just needed a few more millivolts (you know those aging instrumentation IC's)

so it's definitely not a POOGE, and it is certainly inelegant, but I think that a KLUGE would refer more to an entire device cobbled together from disparate sources with half-baked ideas.

Somewhere around here I have a picture of a KLUGE.

Thanks about plurals. With three genders, four cases nd verbs that hide part of themselves at the end of sentences to keep track of it's no wonder relativity and quantum mechanics were discovered by a German speaker -- just think of the mental gymnastics it takes a child to ask moma for another slice of cake! All that before entering school.

kludge 1. /klooj/ n. Incorrect (though regrettably common) spelling of kluge (US). These two words have been confused in American usage since the early 1960s, and widely confounded in Great Britain since the end of World War II. 2. [TMRC] A crock that works. (A long-ago "Datamation" article by Jackson Granholme similarly said: "An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing whole.") 3. v. To use a kludge to get around a problem. "I've kludged around it for now, but I'll fix it up properly later."

This word appears to have derived from Scots `kludge' or `kludgie' for a common toilet, via British military slang. It apparently became confused with U.S. kluge during or after World War II; some Britons from that era use both words in definably different ways, but kluge is now uncommon in Great Britain. `Kludge' in Commonwealth hackish differs in meaning from `kluge' in that it lacks the positive senses; a kludge is something no Commonwealth hacker wants to be associated too closely with. Also, `kludge' is more widely known in British mainstream slang than `kluge' is in the U.S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.