Help understandin Self's V-I limiting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If anyone is familiar with the section in D. Self's book on single V-I limiting I would like to pose a question. First I can follow the discussion up through the construction of the 4-ohm reactive line. Also I have run a simulation that convinces me that the single slope protection circuit functions as claimed.

Now here is where I get stumped: In reference to Figures 13.4 and 13.5 he writes that R3=15k determines the slope of protection Locus 1 (and R3=10k determines Locus 2). What I don't see is how these two loci are derived from the information presented. It seems like it should be simple as you only need two data (slope + an intercept or two intercepts).

Can anyone explain how this is done such that I could reproduce the figure as shown?

Alternatively if it derived by running a simulation, ehat is the simulation set up? Not the schematic, but what component values are varied and what is the result variable that is sought?

This will probably be very simple, but I the moment I don't see it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.