power rail decoupling/bypassing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
tomst is offline tomst  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default power rail decoupling/bypassing

Hi iv'e been searching for this for a while but not found the answer i want.
I'm about to recap an Arcam alpha 5 amp. I believe that the panasonic FC/FM's or Rubycon ZL/ZLH are good to use in the signal path C1/C9 as they are low impedance and fast reacting so to stop any DC current in the signal. However would these also be a good choice to use in positions c11/c12 in the +/- 37v power rail or is something with higher impedance better in this place. As i understand it the power rails carry a DC current and any fluctuations in that need to be levelled out. The capacitor stops the DC going to ground, which would happen if there was no capacitor, but the capacitor absorbs/grounds any fluctuations in the DC current. So i would think you need a cap that has a large reactance range thats why the small bypass cap C13/C14 is there to Borden the reactance rage. So I guess the use of a standard Panasonic EEC would be fine for this because of the bypass cap. but if i was to just the electrolytic with no bypass i would be better with the FC/FM?
Also in the PSU there is the step down from 37v to 15v, after the regulator there is the C206/C207 10F cap to ground i guess these are better being the FC/FM type Cap as mentioned above this cap is not bypassed.
As recommended i will use the Plastic film cap in position C10
See attached images
Thanks Tom
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (853.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 6th June 2012, 06:39 PM   #2
robmorf is offline robmorf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi tomst.Im soon to start recapping my alpha 6 plus amp and replace the output transitors.Interested to know how your alpha 5 recap went?Iwould be grateful for any tips or pitfalls that you encountered.
regards rob.

Hide this!Advertise here!