TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

Attempt to do the simple TSSA (TT)

Hi, LC. Is the is latest updated TSSA TT ? Seems no much update about it (srry didn't go through whole thread) Anyone built it ? How does it sounds ?

I'm curious does 2 stage and three stage makes any difference in this case ?

Anything to take caution of, such as in this post:
Post#61 - Idefixes, if you have thermal tracks than first make point to point wire nest. Mount TT-s on a heatsink, than step by step add and wire parts, similar like sonnya did. I think it is not very demanding job to do and test, before you go to PCB. You will also check if everything is OK and if the sound is acceptable.

And don't forget to thermally couple input pair.
Does the input pair need to couple each other only, or they also need to attach to the heatsink (thermally couple to TT output transistor)

Attachments

• TSSA TT.jpg
    TSSA TT.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 1,057
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I hesitate to post this because I'm not sure if it's good or not. I've included three attachments. One of the Lazy Cat TSSA BJT circuit, second, of my pcb layout with component values and third, my pcb layout without component values. I layed out the pcb's in a program called DIYLayout Creator. I've been using it a lot for simple guitar stompboxes and small power amps. I know that I should just bite the bullet and learn Cadsoft Eagle. I was hoping someone could take a quick look and see where the glaring errors are or if I should just scrap the whole thing and use a better pcb editor. I've seen the layouts that Ales MM and a few other do here and there so good. (Beyond good). I just wanted to etch my own all bjt version of the TSSA and listen to it. You won't hurt my feelings if it stinks.
Tom

Attachments

• TSSA BJT.jpg
    TSSA BJT.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 1,323
  • TSSA BJT.png
    TSSA BJT.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • TSSA BJT 2.png
    TSSA BJT 2.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Something like this, all BJT simplest. :D
P.S. 1mF FB bridge cap can be also beneficial. :rolleyes:

No, it is not bad at all.

The same circuit could use njw0281/njw0302. With an higher idle in the input pair (10mA) and with good cooling it would be easy to do a class a amp with them also. Maybe even remove the collector resistors??!?!!! :D

to not forget it

Attachments

• SSA.jpg
    SSA.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,216
I hesitate to post this because I'm not sure if it's good or not. I've included three attachments. One of the Lazy Cat TSSA BJT circuit, second, of my pcb layout with component values and third, my pcb layout without component values. I layed out the pcb's in a program called DIYLayout Creator. I've been using it a lot for simple guitar stompboxes and small power amps. I know that I should just bite the bullet and learn Cadsoft Eagle. I was hoping someone could take a quick look and see where the glaring errors are or if I should just scrap the whole thing and use a better pcb editor. I've seen the layouts that Ales MM and a few other do here and there so good. (Beyond good). I just wanted to etch my own all bjt version of the TSSA and listen to it. You won't hurt my feelings if it stinks.
Tom

Wow, your design quite simple and nice compare to mine. (although a bit spacious IMO) Mine got complicated because i use thermal track OP transistor, so wired backed is messy, thus until now haven't build the circuit, had you built yours ?

IMO, the input stage line is a bit long/far, thus prone to interference (unless sufficient shielding of input stage path)

Last edited:
And its quite unnecessary to make the supply line long (between +- and OP transistor) as it will produce supply noise to signal line. Make it short by placing immediately beside transistor and avoid near small signal path.

Tom,
there is also a missing capacitor in between input transistor (550/560)

Last edited: