TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

Hi LC,

This week Nbip3 (alias brother of quasi) is born ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/88258-brother-quasi-44.html#post3224050 ), that's done i can yet go foward on TSSA BIGBT HP. I will not have time in the evening so saturday or sunday i will go on CCSs test.

I have to purchase new filtering/smoothing caps (this i have are old used one....). Have you an advice on µF amount per chanel?

Marc

Hi Esperado,

Here's the modification for feedback resistor feeding

Marc

Hi Idefixes,

Nice work. Hope your build went well. You took the audio ground from the wrong point.

A single device is the purest amplifier. Thus the fewer the devices, the better. Keep It as Simple as Possible.

In the hunt for lower THD and DC to light performance we may put together many devices, it works sometimes.

A situation where many devices work together to reduce THD due to random noise cancellation exist, such as used by Self paralleling Op Amps.

Listening Tests are strange things that leave us with even more questions whether something is worth it or not. Thus the refusal of tube gear to die out.

Thank you for your continued contributions to audio.

kind regards,

Harrison.

Listening Tests are strange things that leave us with even more questions whether something is worth it or not.

Yes. I think THD is not a useful concept. Nowadays I don't even look at the THD number in LTSpice. I simply print the FFT from 0v1 to 0v7 or more (up to 2v). From the chart you can see if 0v1 will give higher distortion than 0v2. Or you can see how distortions move with input voltage increase. And many more.

NTC suits the need well enough. Maybe it would be better to have inrush current sensing with comparator to turn on the triac when current falls to 20% or so. :rolleyes:
My idea was to use a time dependent ramp to fire the Triac, starting at the end of each AC half sinus, and slowly firing the triac up to its beginning as charging time increase (100%). AS top of he sinus will be half the time, even with a simple RC, we have the chance to set a near linear peak current for charging the caps,, just to change the time constant of the amp, to tune-it for different caps values of the PSU.

Marc, so now you have eight BIGBTs all together ready to go. Very good, for me personally I consider BIGBT as one transistor only because it acts like one, no oscillations, no problems with it whatsoever, it is powerfull, high current capability and high transconductance enables VAS to breathe with full lungs. :)

Hardly wait to start with your TSSA BIGBT. :up:

My CSA is ready, just waiting to get heatsinks from CAD CAM company. :)

Last edited:
Eit is more like tour de force than just optimal NTC solution. What about triac switching snubber to reduce EMI?
I don't like at all those high temp of NTC or resisatence during start-up. EMI is not an issue; it is only during some seconds at start-up. But i understand the simple and easy way.
You do not answered my question about stabilized . Did-you have made the listening test ?

Last edited: