TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

Chistophe, the discussion is not about the closed loop gain but about the open loop gain to be raised to get more leeway with feedback to lower distortion.
Ah, thanks, Joachim, sorry for my misunderstanding.
My thoughts:
I suppose the only interest is increasing open loop gain is with keeping the open loop bandwidth equal or better ? Is-it possible ?
As i said in the SSA thread, slew rate is the goal.
... Yes, more feedback gives a better damping factor.
... But, in an other side, it will produce higher signal in the feedback path and that can lead to more TIM ?
I suppose that optimizing this aspect will require a lot of listening test ?
Interesting question to explore.

Christophe, would more open loop gain result not only in a higher damping factor but also less distortion ?
Well, when we increase the gain factor of 1 stage in an amplifier (with no other change) we often increase its own distortion. (= We reduce its local feedback) In a global loop, increasing feedback to compensate this adding gain will reduce back the global distortion. Did the result better or worse than before ? Hard to predict !
I think we can have a more accurate answer looking at the slewrate.

I am not sure, is that 3V input or output ?
If it is 3V input then his simulation shows much lesser harmonic distortion as other versions of the TSSA i have seen.
Christophe, would more open loop gain result not only in a higher damping factor but also less distortion ?

Basicly the system closed loop gain is calculated with the following formula..

closed loop gain = A/(1+(A * Beta).

A is openloop gain.

Beta is the feedback network. For inverted configuration it is:

Beta = 1/(RF/RG)

For noninverted configuration it is:

Beta = 1/(1+(RF/RG)).

The TSSA as example. You will have a openloop gain A = 158.

Beta is 1/(1+(1K/100)) = 1/11 = .09091

Closedloop gain is: 158/(1+158*.09091) = 10.28.

In comparison with this one http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...est-symmetrical-amplifier-5.html#post2996045: who has a A = 1.000.000..

It is really bad with the TSSA. But it is helped along with CFP input pair wich have local feedback that lowers distortion from the input pair.

Also the mosfet runs in class A .. So the most of the time we do not need to struggle with crossover distortion.

The SSA maybe be better in terms gain. but it also have some unlinear parameters the TSSA does not have...

There is several parameters we can work with.

Reduce RF and RG to 499R and 49.9R => A = ~300

use double lateral mosfet => A = ~600.

Raise the resistor R8 and R7 to 2K => A= ~1200.

Whe have now reduced the distortion 8 times. And Zout is also lowered 8 times.

The system gain means that we 2VRMS to get maximum power. Most DACS and CD players can manage that.

Joachim:

Exactly.... Except there no such thing as a stable amp with out Cdom capacitors in one form or another. In my amp it is C12 and C13.

Thats why i asked if the SSA design are stable into 10uF load (I think Quad electrostates are close). My designs are not stable without extentions in the design...

I really dont think the SSA are completly stable... Go for Megahertz they all say. Some of it is true... But you need take into account what you pick up of noise and how close you will come to instabillity..

They are now 47pF but i would suggest 220 - 330pF with all the changes above....