TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

I believed on the circuit of this tssa so i actually have 10 panels of 4 boards.

Hi Sonnya :wave:

That's what I call full confidence to a TSSA 1.5v Basic design. Congratulations for a very professional PCB design, I think also some other forum members would like to have one of these too. Development of testing and future events will be even more interesting, hardly wait to see. :cool:

Regards Andrej ;)

The sims shows around 16W in 8R at 1KHz the THD would be something like 0.06% and at 10KHz it is around 0.068%

It is not bad.

Not bad, not bad at all, since this is two stages amp design only, although each stage is very well adapted for its mission and still will be more improved-adjusted at process of initial calibration in seeking for best final performance. :wiz:

LC, i missed you at the High End. I did not find the time to test the modules again and i do not even know if i ever will because MiiB and I have changed the circuit again. Our version simulates also with 0,06% THD. That is of cause no world record but it is only 2nd harmonic, driver or not. 3rd is down 1/1000 times so i expect a good sound. I have still my first version playing and even that super simple execution sounds excellent.
I am using a cap multiplier in the PSU. It is dead quiet and makes no on or off plop.

As soon as you go from Class A over in Class B (One of the output devices turning off) third harmonic will start rising.

And sim is forgiving.

No matter how clever you try to make this switch, the cross over region will allways be the Achilles heel. Even with a soft switch off the harmonics starts to rise abrupt.

But at 1Watt you will with the present state be at 0.007% ...

The monotonic behavior is due to its low OLG. With feedback it is difficult to obtain monotony because of the requirement of the dominant pole. but the lower OLG helps, or should we say masks the performance at lower frequencies.

You could go for a quad pack lateral! :D

I am waiting on the 2SJ79 and 2SK216.

I have a broker that could offer them within 3 days, I need to take more but i will maybe go this path. If i don't get a response.

Under all circumstances i know that the parts from the broker is original and checked.

Next week i will assemble them for test. (garden needs to be done this weekend)

I am looking forward to your build. It should sound very good as long as you do not push it. On my system with 98dB sensitivity i rarely go over 5 V so in my case it is a very good solution. I think speakers with very low sensitivity is not a good start anyway although there are many out there with huge reputation that are under 84dB but 350kG in weight.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to your build. It should sound very good as long as you do not push it. On my system with 98dB sensitivity i rarely go over 5 V so in my case it is a very good solution. I think speakers with very low sensitivity is not a good start anyway although there are many out there with huge reputation that are under 84dB but 350kG in weight.

Magico Q5 :D ha ha ha ha ha.

Q3 is down to 2,7Ohm at certain frequencies.

I can only agree with you. This one is for effective speakers even horn speakers will benefit from this.

Like this:

TQWT-

But i think Horn speakers are a german landmark....

My system at the moment is very similar. Waveguide and 20cm bass-midrange but in a dipole with an active m-dipole sub. Yes, horns get more popular here but more in the DIY scene. The so called High End is still the domain of low sensitivity, brute force stiffed, damped and low sensitivity "beauties". This is slowly changing partly because of the grotesque huge power amps that where all the rage 10 years ago. Problem is that many have this amps and they are hard to sell.

LC, i missed you at the High End. I did not find the time to test the modules again and i do not even know if i ever will because MiiB and I have changed the circuit again. Our version simulates also with 0,06% THD. That is of cause no world record but it is only 2nd harmonic, driver or not. 3rd is down 1/1000 times so i expect a good sound. I have still my first version playing and even that super simple execution sounds excellent.
I am using a cap multiplier in the PSU. It is dead quiet and makes no on or off plop.

Hi Gerhard :wave:

Yes I know, but that can also be the reason maybe to visit some other event in near future. :up:

Does yours & MiiB's version also consist of two stages only (input-output) or you have some kind of voltage amplifying stage in between? Is it so much different from Sonnya's? :rolleyes:

This kind of distortion results are very good considering the input stage has to do everything (differentiating plus amplifying) and for that kind of combination as you already stated, class A would be the best measured-sounding. :)

Hi Joachim Gerhard, Can I have your version of TSSA schematic? I want to build. Thank you in advance. I want to give thanks also to LC.

Regards,
Boyet