TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

And i was also thinking about all this class D crap imposed on us in cunsumer electronics, ECO friendlyness is put before sound quality.

In sweden, you barely see an amplifier thats not class D nowdays, class A and AB is more or less a thing of the past unless you build it yourself.

I am not a fan of pure CLASS A (It is not ECO friendly :D ) but i will maybe test the attached version.

This way the current through the input BJT will be the same and symmetrical regardless of bias current and offset adjustment. => Every amp will sound the same way.

Very nice incarnation 1 mA fixed input bias plus bias/offset CCS generators summing on 2,2k gate-source resistor. Similar like in your CFP amp, driven CCS in output stage. :cool:

Sonnya can you please send me the link where you buy Exicons. Thanks :)

When you run an amp with idle of 60 - 70mA, it would 6Watt per channel with +/-45VDC. It is only a fraction more than with Class D.
And with proper standby circuit it would be able to meet the requirements of the EU.
It can be that it is not as efficient as Class D, but class D also is inefficient at 1W. But regarding high power, no one can compete with Class D.
But for my use 100Watt is more than enough.

I would not replace my CFB designs with CLASS D until there is a huge leap in performance.

But let us return to the TSSA.

I will build it and make a PCB for it. But should it be std. mosfet or EXICON layout???

I would not replace my CFB designs with CLASS D until there is a huge leap in performance.

Exactly, when and if, some sort of powered DAC having 24/32 bit A/D digital correction feedback. Even than there's no guarantee it will surpassed top linear amps. :eek:

I will build it and make a PCB for it. But should it be std. mosfet or EXICON layout???
Yeeeesss, Sonnya's PCB contribution to TSSA thread, greatly appreciated. :worship:

I don't know which to choose, do you have some preferences to any? I don't have a lot of laterals experiences. :rolleyes:

Thanks, if need me, I'm here. :cheers:

Last edited:
I kept the diodes and will try transdiodes.
I listen to it all the time. It already sounds much less grainy then many amps i tried.
It is sweet but has resolution and dynamics. I do not challenge it much anyway because i use it only over 80Hz on 95dB sensitive speakers i put in the nearfield. I have an active bass system.
4V peak at the speakers make my left ear distort.
Under this conditions it has tremedoes potential. I personally like to drive the speakers from the drains and not the sources. That makes the amp short circuit prove and i think to drive an ELS without zobel should work too. It has no on or off plopp. I like the simplicity. You are really onto something here LC. Well thought out.

I kept the diodes and will try transdiodes.

Very well, it should be even better without them, just be careful to start with minimum bias setting after removing diodes. :up:

It is sweet but has resolution and dynamics. I do not challenge it much anyway because i use it only over 80Hz on 95dB sensitive speakers i put in the nearfield. I have an active bass system.
4V peak at the speakers make my left ear distort.
Under this conditions it has tremedoes potential. I personally like to drive the speakers from the drains and not the sources. That makes the amp short circuit prove and i think to drive an ELS without zobel should work too. It has no on or off plopp. I like the simplicity. You are really onto something here LC. Well thought out.

Yes, being so simple it is quite surprising to give that much. Good and reliable topology with just the right spices, synergy between BJT and MOSFET, best of each, together as a couple.
I am so pleased you shared the experiences and joy with us, also as you can see latest course of events, guys will try to squeeze even more out of TSSA.

All the best to you Gerhard :cheers:

Yesterday evening i made a comparison of mosfet versus NJW1302G/3281G with MJF15030/15031 in darlington configuration with an emitter resistor of 0.22R

idle current is 1.8Amp.

In the simulation the THD for the exicons is 0.014% at 2.8Vp into 8R
for the darlington it is 0.004% at 2.8Vp into 8R

The thing is, they are easier to get, and cost 2/3 of the exicons.

At 1.8A and +/-32VDC we will dissipate 57Watt in each output device.

In comparison the exicons can handle 125Watt and the NJW's 200Watt.

With and heatsink of 0.4W/K the heatsink temperature will rise with 45.6K.

With 57Watt in the exicons it will rise to 102.6K leaving only 47Kelvin to the roomtemperature.

With the NJW you will have 35.625K leaving 68Kelvin to the room temperature.

I do not think it is safe to use the exicons or other devices rated lower than 200W for +/-32VDC supply voltage.

There is a lot talking against mosfets here.

Let me know what you think.

- Sonny