TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier - Page 85 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 10:02 PM   #841
diyAudio Member

You have at least one interested party.
Old 14th June 2012, 03:06 AM   #842
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnya View Post
I was surfing the net and stumbled on the F5 schematic. The TSSA has a lot in common. I am sorry i have not seen this one before.
What!!?

Quote:
The difference is mainly that Nelson uses 2sk170 and 2sj74 in the input where the TSSA uses standard parts that are easy to get.
You have to see Juma's version using BJT.

Oh, they used hexfet, like mine, not latfet.

Last edited by Jay; 14th June 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 14th June 2012, 06:07 AM   #843
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is all simple music, but it does it very good. It is our taste.... My wife and i.
Gladly you enjoyed the evening, suppose the wine and some tasty snack weren't missing ... and all that still without mosfet drivers
Old 14th June 2012, 06:16 AM   #844
sonnya is online now sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It is with the mosfet drivers installed.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:40 AM   #845
diyAudio Member

Thank for your account regarding the sound of your version of (T)SSA, I said that the SSA was and excellent sounding amp almost eight months ago when Andrej first presented it here and it seems to get better as the design matures. Well done Sonny.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:59 PM   #846
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the complements Nico. As you know it requires a lot of man hours just for small modifications. The last little modification and test took 10 to 11 hours. So your comment is a vitamine injection to continue.

I would say that the SSA or the TSSA has potential but it needs a lot of housekeeping. This thread and the work i have done in conjuction with MiiB prooves it.

Together i have used more than 150 hours on it. Sure Andrej has a very stable amplifier running on the SSA design.
MiiB has a prototype too on the Basis of the SSA design.

It is Technology that is not for rookies. If any one would work with current feedback and on the same time is a newbie i would suggest replacing the frontend with a simple diamond buffer or a jfet buffer like in the pass firstwatt F5.

You would get simelar result but with an easier circuit.
Old 17th June 2012, 03:53 PM   #847
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
And the more detail and speed we heard from the Simple Symmetric ?
It may simply be that the Simple Symmetric has less damping factor so a peak in the impedance curve between tweeter and woofer may cause that effect by bringing out the presence range just a little. That also would explain the deeper soundstage of the Sauermann.
I do not have an impedance curve of the updated LQL200 so this is an estimation.
Maybe i can get the actual curve from the designer.
I think the amp-cable-speaker-room interface has to be considered as system or we are in muddy waters.
I tend to agree with you.

I have made a comparison with my simple cfb amp with exicon output devices.the AMP has been upgraded with predrivers as shownin my thread on the AMP. The servo Has a lower cutoff than the prototype which Michael and Lars was complaining about missing bas information. A resistor was 10x smaller than what was the intention.

A comparing between these to on a speaker reveals where the TSSA adds a little colouration. but it is very little and i Like it two.

I would say it is as you where comparing a between Audi rs4 and a BMW m3. They are both a good car.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:15 PM   #848
diyAudio Member

Let' s just not forget what's SSA principle all about, it's all about simplicity in symmetry. Basic input current feedback SSA core from the pic is well tested and can be the base for many type of VAS front-end-s. Forthcoming CSA will be the most complex version based on SSA core and I believe also the best all-rounder of them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA Input Diff.jpg (161.8 KB, 434 views)
Old 17th June 2012, 09:28 PM   #849
diyAudio Member

I know. I was only trying to give My impression on a working AMP.

The front works. No doubt about that.

If there is any one here that should be biased in opinion it would be me as i have put thousend of euro's into it.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:37 PM   #850
diyAudio Member

Sonny your work on SSA is greatly appreciated and with the results most of DIY-ers would hard to achieve ever. You certainly deserve the investment to be refunded in some way and I'm sure it will be soon. Until than you have an amp to enjoy.

Hide this!Advertise here!