TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

You can easily measure-it. The combination of the parasitic self of the electrolytic paralleled with the near perfect MKP (or ceramic) produce a resonant circuit. The add of the MKP instead of reducing the impedance at HF, as expected, produce both a peak and an general increase of impedance in a large band at HF. This is true for power filtering as well.
There is 3 solutions to minimize the problem:
-Paralleling little electolytics of the same value to reach the desired values: their parasitic resistances and inductances are individually smaller and they will be divided by the number of paralleled capacitances.
- Paralleling electolytic caps, each time equal or less of 1/10 of the value of the previous one, until you reach the value where the MKP will be 1/10.
- Add a serial resistance to the MKP in order to dump the resonant circuit.

If i would suggest anything.

The Panasonic caps FC-series are at the topend. But all electrolytic capacitors has a resonance point a lot lower than film or ceramic types.

ESL is the one that give ringing together with a capacitance.

The ripple current and impedance is given at 100KHz.You could add a series resistor to the Panasonic FC, but i would never do it to the MKP's.

This series resistance could be in the range of 1 - 10Ohm.

But it is a matter of taste. And i have done everything to keep pcb trace inductance at a minimum.

- Sonny

The ripple current and impedance is given at 100KHz.You could add a series resistor to the Panasonic FC, but i would never do it to the MKP's.
Well, it can be true, all is a matter of what you are looking for. I mean where you need to minimal the impedance. In a feedback loop, we are often using the cap with an added serial resistance. Easy to // the same resistance + the MKP, for a near perfectly damped circuit. Right ?

About Tantalum, they are not so bad for signal too, as long as they are polarized with enough voltage margin. More fluid than Aluminum, on my feelings.
They are best in the long time, since very fragile on the short one. We had encounter a lot of failures in the first month in a mixing desk. Short circuit, most of the time. Once they are burned out they are ok on the long distance.
Caps are often a real nightmare.

The ripple current and impedance is given at 100KHz. You could add a series resistor to the Panasonic FC, but i would never do it to the MKP's.

This series resistance could be in the range of 1 - 10Ohm.

But it is a matter of taste. And i have done everything to keep pcb trace inductance at a minimum. Sonny

Adding the resistance to the electrolytic is something I have tried in spice but not in reality - I'll try that also next year :)

I'm somewhat curious what you don't like about the sound of snubber R in series with bypass MKP cap - I only ever do this these days with constantan wire which sounds just fine to me - but I know that we all have different preference & priorities with the "sound" we like.

My ultimate solution is several snubbered bypass caps added to the electrolytics - this way impedance is kept quite low & the film caps smooth & clean "character" dominates the sound without any added resonance.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005