TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 10:09 PM   #1331
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
try adding 1uF - 4.7uF with 0.2R in series instead - it sounds much better
This has been known among DIYers since a very long time (but rarely discussed here), but unfortunately I have never had the chance to find out if it is true or not (I just prefer to leave out the MKP and choose the best electrolytics)
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:13 PM   #1332
diyAudio Member

Salas, apart your strange taste for vinyls (nobody's perfect :-) your system is a compilation of all what a full life dedicated to audio had bought to me as the best ways to reach the best audio reproduction. Current feedback amps powering circular spherical waves horns, big diameters cones working in their non fractioning range in acoustically treated room.

The photos around-it reveals as well a big part of what life had learned to me as the best to bring joy and happiness: Sea, sun, beautiful landscapes, friends, and music...

You are a lucky guy.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:22 PM   #1333
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That is Vgeorge you picture more likely. Me I am much more of an urban rat with a sonic monkey on my back.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:29 PM   #1334
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This has been known among DIYers since a very long time (but rarely discussed here), but unfortunately I have never had the chance to find out if it is true or not (I just prefer to leave out the MKP and choose the best electrolytics)
Snubbing can mild out the effect but not eliminate it. If a botch afterthought, especially in a finished amp with short vias that measured 2.5MHZ -3dB, it shall expand the local loop area which is not a good risk. The 200kHz sqW pics are taken with just FC lytics on board everywhere BTW. The lead out negative widening tendency is of scope's performance, had checked that. Just a rebadged Instek 20MHZ value scope for TENMA, but phosphor gives better real time fidelity and noise VS budget DSOs before entering the better pro DSOs price range with higher screen def and update rate market segment.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:30 PM   #1335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
You can easily measure-it. The combination of the parasitic self of the electrolytic paralleled with the near perfect MKP (or ceramic) produce a resonant circuit. The add of the MKP instead of reducing the impedance at HF, as expected, produce both a peak and an general increase of impedance in a large band at HF. This is true for power filtering as well.
There is 3 solutions to minimize the problem:
-Paralleling little electolytics of the same value to reach the desired values: their parasitic resistances and inductances are individually smaller and they will be divided by the number of paralleled capacitances.
- Paralleling electolytic caps, each time equal or less of 1/10 of the value of the previous one, until you reach the value where the MKP will be 1/10.
- Add a serial resistance to the MKP in order to dump the resonant circuit.

Last edited by Esperado; 2nd December 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:32 PM   #1336
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

how about a good quality bipolar ?
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:42 PM   #1337
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They could be lower THD than unipolar if from same tech exactly so to be apples to apples, still they also fit Jay's phrase "and choose the best electrolytics".
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:53 PM   #1338
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
try adding 1uF - 4.7uF with 0.2R in series instead - it sounds much better
You talk the rails lytics shunt plastics? I talk the feedback lytics shunt plastics.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:04 PM   #1339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Hi guys

As promised, here's TSSA BIGBT HP.

Credits goes to: Esperado, MiiB, Sonnya, Nico Ras, Salas, Homemodder

Andrej
phenomenal.
For serving the TLP627. : Confused:
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:05 PM   #1340
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
You can easily measure-it. The combination of the parasitic self of the electrolytic paralleled with the near perfect MKP (or ceramic) produce a resonant circuit. The add of the MKP instead of reducing the impedance at HF, as expected, produce both a peak and an general increase of impedance in a large band at HF. This is true for power filtering as well.
There is 3 solutions to minimize the problem:
-Paralleling little electolytics of the same value to reach the desired values: their parasitic resistances and inductances are individually smaller and they will be divided by the number of paralleled capacitances.
- Paralleling electolytic caps, each time equal or less of 1/10 of the value of the previous one, until you reach the value where the MKP will be 1/10.
- Add a serial resistance to the MKP in order to dump the resonant circuit.
Alternatively and proactively...I have secured some last resort test to quality tone bypassing. AKA NOS huge Micas.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!