TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier - Page 117 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 07:01 PM   #1161
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Hi Esperado,

Here's the modification for feedback resistor feeding

Marc
Very nice PCB Marc, now even improved.

Did you finished you current DIY amp yet, Quasi isn't it?
Old 16th September 2012, 07:09 PM   #1162
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post

I made some progress on quasi project : the front panel is varnished, yet i have to apply epoxy resine on MDF boby. I do that in parallel with my listening room (little home theater too) in my basement. I begin from zero and needed to built wall, electric distrinbution, thermic insulation as floor humidity insulation by applaying a specifique 2K epoxy resin.....

This evening i order new pcb board to etch new TSSA pcb version and soft start/speaker protection board as the 1µ/100v wima that left me. So yet ia can go foward with TSSA project.

Marc

Last edited by Idefixes; 16th September 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 07:40 PM   #1163
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi mike. How is the building process going?
Old 16th September 2012, 10:11 PM   #1164
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
soldered boards yesterday, modified various things including earthing on PSU's today, hope to make music tomorrow, will report as soon as I do
Old 17th September 2012, 06:30 AM   #1165
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For me Jazz is the most revealing, true "acid test", since PRAT (Pace Rhythm And Timing) is everything at Jazz. Live Jazz performances daily in summer time offers major experiences, sound absorptions, tasting and learning how live instruments and Jazz band should sound. System must be capable to reproduce near live experience and that happens only when PRAT is OK. Musicians come together playing the same tune, they're tuned together, if not, complex Jazz takes sounds like tune's falling apart, musicians not playing in the same composition. To me Y axis correlations (phase, time, frequency) are the most important ones, amplitude related distortions are much more tolerable.
YES!

Old 17th September 2012, 01:08 PM   #1166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
Hi Esperado,
Here's the modification for feedback resistor feeding
Marc
Nice !
I'm sure you will notice a sound and measurement differences. As the currents are huge on the output lines, you can see a real voltage differences between the point right out from a power transistor and the common output point, despite it is the same track..
Taking the Feedback right from the output point where speakers are feed makes-you sure that your feedback represent exactly the signal you need to treat. I experienced that in 1970, and on the amp we were working on at this time, measurement showed a /10 factor in distortion. Now, it is a reflex.
Quote:
Regarding dual mono concept, I'm sure there's so little differences between channels that phase differences do not play significant role, also listening shows no worse stereo imaging than solid stereo amp, on contrary, to mine opinion it is even better.
Hi, L.C.
It is not phase differences, but short level differences, due to PSU voltages decreases during transients. And you know that our ears localize both on phase and level differences.

As your two trasfos are the same, you can test in rely the two + and - lines of the 2 amps with a BIG diameter wire, and see if any listening difference ?
Worse is the PSSR of the amps, more you will notice a more stable image with a single PSU. I know you understand :-)
As you said, nothing mysterious.The result will be that instruments will take less width in the stereo image with more empty space between them.

Of course, you will notice that more obviously with records mixed from studio recordings and multitracks mixing (Rock'n roll and some Jazz album) using level based stereo (stereo position set with a "Panpot"), than with some classical records, based on phase stereo, recorded with couples of microphones (levels are quite the same on the two tracks).

Last edited by Esperado; 17th September 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 12:59 PM   #1167
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Re Hi LC, I recieve today the lefting parts for TSSA project following (some wima, fuse clips, and new Pc board to etch improved TSSA version. The only thing i missing is the TLP627, but project can go on for first steps without It.

So i think i will etch new borad next week, and than wait foryour instruction to go on with electronic building....

Marc
Old 24th September 2012, 04:32 PM   #1168
diyAudio Member

WOW nice, show us new PCB-s and than will start.

Try to locate SFH619A
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SFH619A.pdf (124.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 05:13 PM   #1169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
WOW nice, show us new PCB-s and than will start.

Try to locate SFH619A
I can source TLP627 but it is in a another supplier where i made latest order. I juste see if i not need another souround part. I think i be able to show you new pcb next weekend.

Marc
Old 25th September 2012, 12:44 PM   #1170
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
I'm not sure how many from here are following the thread TSSA V1.6 docs and buyers list so I thought I would post some listening impressions here of the design that Sonny has developed.

The Set up:

25V + 25V rails from choke regulated supplies
o/p bias current 1A
CLG 23
Caddock TF020 in FB & gain positions
Playing music for about 1 week
Small mod done to "snubberise" the rail by pass caps

With the above conditions in place this amp has come to me as quite a revelation, I have never heard such clarity before and it is musical also and gives real insight into the music.

I'm not saying that it does not have character - there is quite high HD and this can sometimes be noticed but it is not really unpleasant, more like a little added richness to the sound.

I am not new to amps with CFB so I guess the remarkable clarity has to be due to:

The symmetrical topology
The fact that the VAS is the o/p stage.

I have heard it said that true transparency can never be realised in global FB amps with follower o/p stages and also JLH said that symmetrical amps tend to sound more detailed ( don't think he meant it as a complement )

I suspect that the main cause for this extraordinary clarity is having the VAS as the o/p stage but if there is someone here who has heard both SSA & TSSA I would love to hear your comments about how they compare.

My thanks to Sonny for offerring this great amp and to Andrej for the idea.

more details on other thread

mike

Hide this!Advertise here!