TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2012, 04:41 PM   #1001
mikelm is online now mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Sonny,

I have one question about your TSSA design:

I think I understand the reasons you included the i/p stage hawsford cascode in this design ( about 3db better PSNRR + constant voltage ) but I was not so sure about why you included the CFP - In spice I could not see much of a difference - would be interested to here your thinking on that.

thanks

mike

Last edited by mikelm; 22nd August 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:29 PM   #1002
Account disabled at member's request

Higher input impedance, allows higher bias current on input pair and wider bandwith with higher current.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:51 PM   #1003
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
goddammit... i like analog electronics... I want to design stuff and build them and feel the awesome feeling you get when you build something yourself, but i suck so much at analog, it ain't even funny
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:39 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Hi Tsiros

As you can see this and SSA thread are not just about one specific schematic, its PCB and bill of material. They're much more, they're about exploring ideas, experimenting, letting people express their opinion about certain solutions, etc. OK both are mainly oriented to current feedback amplifiers, their history (SSA thread) and modern designs implementations with quite some special new and very capable semiconductors.

Very nice about electronics is that the knowledge can step up gradually and very consistently, since any practically proven circuit has 100% repeatability especially with modern parts.

So my advice to you is never give up, be open minded, learn, think about ideas, test them practically and over the time you can become skillful designer of your own ideas based on common electronics knowledge.

Regards Andrej
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:34 AM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Assembly of CSA PCB-s progressing slowly, still long way from starting CSA thread, since I decided that the right moment will be when CSA will be throughly tested and installed in my system.

First I have to check front-end stage functionality and performance, but nothing before receiving Vishay trimmers and Murata compensating capacitors. So still a lot of work ahead ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSA PCB5.jpg (473.3 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg CSA PCB6.jpg (496.3 KB, 492 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:41 PM   #1006
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi All. Just wanted to say that All boards are assemblied.

There is a little error in the diagram. There is a 680r resistor instead of 100r in one of the ccs.

The diagram Will be updated, and also the assembly and adjustment procedure Will be uploaded in the weekend. That Will be just a Day before the first boards Will arive.

So we Will start to sent them out tomorrow.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:47 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Sonny,

I have one question about your TSSA design:

I think I understand the reasons you included the i/p stage hawsford cascode in this design ( about 3db better PSNRR + constant voltage ) but I was not so sure about why you included the CFP - In spice I could not see much of a difference - would be interested to here your thinking on that.

thanks

mike
No, not at Open loop. The distortion Will go Down a little . And the 're' Will be lowered. But at the same time the current through base of the transistor Will stay at ~1uA. Without cfp it is ~10uA. This Will lower the thermally drift of the input offset current.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:49 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
goddammit... i like analog electronics... I want to design stuff and build them and feel the awesome feeling you get when you build something yourself, but i suck so much at analog, it ain't even funny
Start with the very first circuit in this thread.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:09 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

By the way Michael. While my assembly lady was assembling smt parts i have been tweaking on the circuit.

The first reaction from my wife...." Ummm i Can hear an improvement... I am not an audio Girl .... But i Can hear an improvement .. There is more information in the sound"..

Old 23rd August 2012, 10:32 PM   #1010
mikelm is online now mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Sonny, now that you have explained it, the logic of your i/p scheme is very clear.

thanks

Can we see your tweaks ?

Last edited by mikelm; 23rd August 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!