Nytech CPA602 Recapping ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recapped one in the 80ies - input elcap and output cap from both amp modules PLUS power supply elcap. schematics are equivalent to the other Nytech schematics.
If you have more than one CPAs than you probably have an active system - are the crossover boards still inside the amps?

I recapped one in the 80ies - input elcap and output cap from both amp modules PLUS power supply elcap. schematics are equivalent to the other Nytech schematics.
If you have more than one CPAs than you probably have an active system - are the crossover boards still inside the amps?

Yes, I have an active System. I will use the crossover out of the CXA252 where the amps are inside.

Does it make sense to replace also the caps for the Power Supply?

Any tips which cap's I should use in the CPA?

Grüsse nach Östereich

Any good advice welcome .. I have a Nytech amp which has just blown the 3.15A slow fuse on the power supply board. From memory this can result from one of the power caps dying.. Replacing the fuse and it blows again.. so suspect the power cap(s)
The caps in question are 3300uf, 63V case size 35mm diameter, 30mm high, pins 10mm apart.
So I know that I dont know where to best find replacement parts for these and would appreciate the help to find some.
Alternatively, feel free to suggest alternative root causes. or just tell me to pay a pro to do the job for me.
Thanks in advance

Any good advice welcome .. I have a Nytech amp which has just blown the 3.15A slow fuse on the power supply board. From memory this can result from one of the power caps dying.. Replacing the fuse and it blows again.. so suspect the power cap(s)
The caps in question are 3300uf, 63V case size 35mm diameter, 30mm high, pins 10mm apart.
So I know that I dont know where to best find replacement parts for these and would appreciate the help to find some.
Alternatively, feel free to suggest alternative root causes. or just tell me to pay a pro to do the job for me.
Thanks in advance

Check the transistors or the recifiers (Dioden) ....I had the same with a 602.

Thanks to Andrew T and NRWler04 for support.
I hate to seem smug but my memory was right, one of the two caps on the power supply board had gone 'down'.. so I was lucky on two counts; firstly my recollection was good and fortunately the correct diagnoisis (aka hunch). Secondly, of the two Caps on the power supply board, I was lucky enough to pick the one that was 'down'.

Due to having four Nytech amps (tow active systems), and due to the cost of component postage, I opted to buy four Caps, and now have three spare from RS. Should get me through a month or fifty :)

Bye all. Hasta la nueva

Sorry that I have overlooked this thread.
I suggest to change all elcaps with the same values as given - even the psu caps. It makes no sense to me to stack capacities which might change the balance of the sound or at least overload the diodes. 2 x 4700 per channel is way too much, IMHO.
ELNA Silmic can be a good solution, or of course Panasonic FCs. The sound of the amp will change with new caps anyway, but usually to the good. I can also recommend "normal" Rubycon caps (like the ones you get at RS) they will sound quite good if correctly biased (like in the Nytech amps). The Nytech amps had a tendency to sound a little bit "cloudy" maybe "dark" so any kind of new elcaps will help to clear that.

Thanks ....
I alreday recapped one with ELNA Silmics ... sounds quite good. Actually I'm transferring the schematics of the latest 602 design into a new PCB. With new PCB's we want to setup a 602 which components we would use today. Then I want to try the combination of Panasonic FM with Nichicon Bipolar's for the two small 10µF ElCaps ... also with Audio Note Tantalum Resistors in the signal path ....

What do you think about the idea? :rolleyes:

See also here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/214899-diy-project-nytech-cpa602-today.html#post3067818

and here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116701

Last edited:
Well, I do not think that this is a good idea. Better make a new amp with your new pcbs and else and compare it to the original Nytech later. I think this amp is a classic and should not be altered besides minor repairs etc. The last one I repaired I altered too - this was in the 80ies - I took out the crossover and rewired it to full range operation. I still should have the crossover pcb in my box of spares and parts somewhere... I did it with hesitations, but the amp was leftover from a (ARC) system and could not be sold otherwise.

Well, I do not think that this is a good idea. Better make a new amp with your new pcbs and else and compare it to the original Nytech later. I think this amp is a classic and should not be altered besides minor repairs etc. The last one I repaired I altered too - this was in the 80ies - I took out the crossover and rewired it to full range operation. I still should have the crossover pcb in my box of spares and parts somewhere... I did it with hesitations, but the amp was leftover from a (ARC) system and could not be sold otherwise.

This is what I want to do. Plese give me a PM to discuss if you like ....

Ingo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.