Building Elvee's Circlophone: Documentation, Parts, Accessories, & beginner friendly

Do please notice that all normal size builds use Heatsinks at VAS, Q5, Q6 and please do use a transistor big enough for appropriate power dissipation tolerances for your build. The big TO220 size 2SC5171 is conveniently big enough that you won't need to heatsink it at Q5, Q6.
I will then take 2N5551 as mentioned by danielwritesbac Regards!
It only took a year to write Post1 of this thread. Here's an excerpt:
♦ Q5, Q6 VAS (cob 4pF~16pF): 2SC5171, 2N3019, 2SC3421, 2N1893, MosFet; Or if < 5pf like 2SC2911, BF819, add this cap.

The 2N5551 was not promoted for Vas/Inverter area, Q5, Q6.
Actually, the 2N5551 was promoted for Sensor area, Q12, Q13.

Last edited:
Terranigma,

Is this lay-out final? I think I will go for this one, japanese devices dominates the industry here in PH. They come cheap and always in availability. Will you be sharing the bottom copper lay-out?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about altering final layouts :

* BC/2N type small transistors (zener and zenerless)
* Japanese small transistors (zener and zenerless)

Total 4 different layouts. Each layout can be used by inverting polarity and device type at each side, thus 8 different implementation according to builder preference. If we count mosfet and darlington output versions separately, then 16 different implementations in total.

For Japanese + zener option, my previously posted layout seems finalized, should be applicable at least. I will send you pcb print file for it.

Hi everyone!

I still change my circuit design but I have a little doubt tracks two tracks that pass between the two capacitors, any suggestion is welcome.

For Schottky diodes (D4 and D5) I have SB560 (60v - 5A).
http://www.vishay.com/docs/88721/88721.pdf
It is ok?

Regards!

Attachments

• Circlophone_rev2.png
    Circlophone_rev2.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 569
Layout updates

Changes :

* It is now Transistor/Zener option on same layout
* Some resistors laid down at input stage
* R21 pads thickened due to possible two pin CCS small module card insertion

Note: 25-50V per rail voltage range is a theoretical estimation.

Attachments

• With-Zener.jpg
    With-Zener.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 538
  • With-TR.jpg
    With-TR.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
A choice. Nice! Good features there.

Just a note:
Darlington 25~35v or FET 25~50v
It seems like plans and high voltage parts for FET are getting into the Darlington board. I don't know. Does the one board do both?

In this board minimum Vce spec'ed part is at 120V. So, I didn't bother to show 50V there. It is going to be the same as mosfet version - except 120R's and output stage of course.

I haven't arranged a BC/2N version of PCB yet. In this case, supply margin will be limited by BC5X0C's at max 38-40V.

I don't want to limit the builders. I just want to prepare a template for different possibilities and requirements. BC/2N version should be applicable for mosfet version too. Hope you get my idea.

I arranged 180pf/270R comp network for transistor version and I didn't altered for zener version as shown in original schematic. Simulation doesn't show any difference with this setup. Should I re-arrange the comp. for zeners (270R to the other side of zeners) as shown in original schematic? It is very easy. Elvee?

Last edited:
I arranged 180pf/270R comp network for transistor version and I didn't altered for zener version as shown in original schematic. Simulation doesn't show any difference with this setup. Should I re-arrange the comp. for zeners (270R to the other side of zeners) as shown in original schematic? It is very easy. Elvee?
It is completely equivalent: the zeners dynamic resistance when they conduct connects the two nodes in AC

[Posted to main thread]
Given the 30+30vdc (60v) operating voltage and unregulated power (surges happen) we might need to list something other than BC556B (maxed at 60V) in the sensor area.

Sorry for late correction but, BC5X6 series specified with -+65V max Vce.

BTW, PCB layout versions seem ready and I'm a bit uncertain about how to introduce them within a clear and understandable way.

* There is going to be physically different 2 versions: BC-2N small transistor type and Japanese small transistor type

* Each pcb can be applicable for Darlington and Mosfet output preference

* Each pcb can be applicable for Zener or Zenerless (+Extra Servo transistor) preference

* Output devices can be N(PN) or P(NP) type

* Remaining active parts and supply polarity must have adapted according to output device type and Sensor/VAS device preference

So, instead of showing a specific transistor type on layout, I think we must categorize each section and provide a list of suitable devices for each section

For example:

PNP Servo(VAS) : Philips,Harris BD140 (Vs<=37V), TTA004,....
NPN Servo(VAS) : Philips,Harris BD139 (Vs<=37V), 2SC5171-FLIPPED,...

PNP IN (BC/2N): BC560C (Vs<=40V),...
NPN IN (BC/2N):

PNP Input (Japanese): 2SA970-BL, 2SA992,...
NPN Input (Japanese):

and goes on...

Last edited: