Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 10:37 PM   #1131
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Hi keane,

To help me understand what you are measuring , is this EC stage part of a power amplifier or is it by itself. Is the EC stage loaded with 8 ohms ( could you confirm this) and what is the voltage level across the load.

Regards
Arthur
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 11:20 PM   #1132
diyAudio Member
 
keantoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Blog Entries: 2
The EC stage is biased into class A at 10mA by a 1k resistor. So it is basically unaffected by any load impedance over 5k. Its output is fed into the gate of the IRF250 fireball (for speakers), which is its own construction. If I want I can bypass the buffer or I can listen to the buffer with headphones without the IRF250 amp.

I'm measuring the EC stage on it's own; I really am not very interested in the measurements of the IRF250 amp, so I haven't actually thought about measuring it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 05:09 AM   #1133
diyAudio Member
 
keantoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Blog Entries: 2
I've posted here about the EC buffer, since I saw that others were going in that direction:

Mpp
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 11:07 AM   #1134
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Revival

Hi Edmond
I finally worked out feedback theory and probe technique sufficiently well to do a bit more on this circuit.
I would like to better understand some of the loops, especially the conditional stability.
I seem to remember that you eventually downloaded a copy of LTSpice.
Do you have this circuit as an LTSpice ASC?

Best wishes
David

Last edited by Dave Zan; 19th January 2014 at 11:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 08:08 PM   #1135
diyAudio Member
 
Edmond Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amsterdam
Hi David,

Nice to see you have made progress. Regrettably, I don't have *.asc files.
>I seem to remember that you eventually downloaded a copy of LTSpice.
Yes, but I only use it as a schematic reader and not as tool for simulation.
Sorry.

Cheers, E.
__________________
Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht, zal meer dan lijf en
goed verliezen dan dooft het licht…(H.M. van Randwijk)
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 08:50 PM   #1136
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
Hi Edmond
I finally worked out feedback theory and probe technique sufficiently well to do a bit more on this circuit.
I would like to better understand some of the loops, especially the conditional stability.
I seem to remember that you eventually downloaded a copy of LTSpice.
Do you have this circuit as an LTSpice ASC?

Best wishes
David
Hello Dave,

It does not really matter if somebody does not use the same simulator that you do , you can still ask the questions as different simulators should give the same results provided all the models and the circuit are the same.

Regards
Arthur
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 11:18 PM   #1137
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
It does not really matter if somebody does not use the same simulator that you do , you can still ask the questions as different simulators should give the same results provided all the models and the circuit are the same.
I know that Edmond had previous problems with inconsistencies between simulators that should produce the same results.
But mainly I just wanted to save the time to re-enter all of Edmond's circuit and models.
Plus eliminate the inevitable errors and discrepancies.
You followed this thread, do you have an LTspice version?

Best wishes
David
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 09:47 AM   #1138
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Hello Dave,

I use the Simetrix simulator. I stopped using Ltspice a couple of years ago, because its unaided convergence was not as good as simetrix.

Somebody experienced with Ltspice should have no problems simulating the loop gain plots that you want to do.

I am tempted to relearn Ltspice because it is the defacto standard on diyaudio.

Regards
Arthur
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 11:35 AM   #1139
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
...
I am tempted to relearn Ltspice because it is the defacto standard on diyaudio.
Please do. I assume that improvements have been made since you left and it is certainly convenient to be able to swap ASCs.


Best wishes
David.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 03:59 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
Hello Dave,

I use the Simetrix simulator. I stopped using Ltspice a couple of years ago, because its unaided convergence was not as good as simetrix.

Somebody experienced with Ltspice should have no problems simulating the loop gain plots that you want to do.

I am tempted to relearn Ltspice because it is the defacto standard on diyaudio.

Regards
Arthur
Hi Arthur,

There have been times when convergence with LTspice have indicated to me a problem in the circuit or the models.

All I'm saying is, be on the watch when you get DC convergence difficulties.

Cheers,
Bob
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bogen Front End lpd Tubes / Valves 2 5th March 2008 04:12 AM
NE5534 with a new front end ...anybody? ashok Solid State 9 2nd June 2006 01:30 AM
My New Front End Pics! micb Car Audio 1 26th May 2006 02:26 PM
Noisily front end mantistube Analogue Source 10 16th January 2006 01:57 AM
Front end for sub amp mashaffer Solid State 9 22nd July 2005 03:35 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2