Mark Levinson 27.5 strange failure with....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my name is Marian and I'm Italian.
For some time I have a ML 27.5 I listen with great satisfaction.
I opened the bottom cover to give a dusting to the monster and I noticed that a circuit trace input power was interrupted and a 1000 ohm resistor interrupted in the middle.
I point that the final working properly and it sounds so divine, respects the ignition delay and without a dump off.
I have several patterns of the monster but I have the schematic on the PCB power. I ask for help figuring out what happened to melt an ice large enough to require a lot of energy (at least 20A. I think).
A circuit diagram of the protection circuit would be preparatory to plan a possible recovery of the track and the replacement of the resistive component damaged.
I know that the way forward is to remove the PCB and proceed to the design of the circuit but now I will not remove or risk running out of the monster.
Thanks in advance friends that I will respond.
Greetings to all ...
marian

1a.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

T.Y.

Hello guys,
Yesterday I spent a happy Sunday with my Mark Levinson 27.5.
I took courage and began to remove the PCB (100 Faston)
I repaired the RC circuit which is located in parallel to the power switch,
Need to avoid making contact torched or better undo the arc in the contact phase.
I reset the circuit trace a piece of art and I replaced the resistor of 1000 ohms with a vintage 1200 ohm given by circuit leveling an old Olivetti printer.
I did not understand what kind of short circuit has melted the track!
The important thing now everything is working correctly.
Enjoy these photos ...
Note the diode bridge from 30Amp. which is Italian.
Good vision,

Mariano from Italy

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

[IMG=jpg]http://win.archimedesys.it/Share/ML27_5/18.jpg[/IMG]

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Sorry for the mess in my lab ....:confused:

Thanks

Hi mara2054, you are fabulous!! you repair the amp by yourself , it is incredible!!
I have a question , I got a second hand 27.5 two month before , whatever how long I listen to,
the amp was not hot , I mean I can put my hand on the heatsink, this amp is class A amp, is it suitable (normal) , I had a MF A120 , it hot like a engine................

It is class A up to 15ish watts...spec doesnt say that but I think that is the reality when looking at the schematc. I know some people use it with 100+db speakeers with great results...when wanting bit more "controlled" class A.
Correct me if Im wrong.
Still waiting on info what preamp works best with this amp... Im using KEF 107s and Linn Sara

I run ML No. 27 with ML 38s. Sounds fine, with well defined bass area and contoured mid range. The only problem with No. 27 occurs with higher frequencies and higher gain. Then it may sound a bit harsh and glassy but I will get this corrected by servicing it in the New Year. The preamp is in working order and has no problems at all.

Greetings, Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.