Choice of power amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am planning to build my first power amp in 20 years. Whilst I am a capable DIYer, I am not an expert on electronics theory like most people seem to be on here. My last power amp was based on Sage Audio modules from late 80s if anyone remembers these. Still sounds pretty good - amazingly dynamic and with detailed and transparent mid range, but HF is too bright to my ears. Now fancy building something else to go with Arcam front end and PMC Fb1 speakers.

I want to build something reasonably straight forward (as far as the theory is concerned) and have whittled list down to Avondale ncc200 and either Hypex ucd400 or ncore 400 (if these are ever in stock). My only requirements are upper budget of £1k tops and best SQ possible for budget.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance....

Hi Simtu,
Interesting that you have power amps using the Sage modules and ones that are still working! That fact alone will generate some interest. There are a couple of threads about these modules with people trying to deduce the schematic by de-potting them.
I was going to buy a couple of modules myself and have still got the Sage leaflets from that time but I was young and decided to go with a NAD 3020 instead.
You will have a good time choosing an amp to build with a budget of a grand.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.