New IR Control Design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2004, 12:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

No big deal. Here the input selection of my preamp project.
It has just 4 inputs but you can easily add others.
The Basic Stamp program can also easily be modify for the number of inputs that you have. Just change in the initialisation section, init:, the variable CH_cnt to the number of inputs to select, ex. for 5 channels:

CH_cnt = $05 ' Set CH1 as Channel Count

Bye...
Attached Files
File Type: zip input select.zip (17.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 28th May 2004, 12:26 PM   #12
ALBQ is offline ALBQ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is this what you plan to make?

Algar_emi,
Is this what you plan to make?
Cheers, -ALBQ

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gilles...U7-Preamp.html
Old 28th May 2004, 05:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes, exactly, but I was never able to get your source code and schematic, so I decided to build my own, byt it takes time. If you can provide me with the source and schematic, I would really appreciate. My version support I2C IO expansion thought.

My bigger plan was to build a kind of modular preamp where I could experiment with different supplies and preamp circuit. I what to have a general control and source selection section.

Any help would be appreciated. My control section for the volume control is still not perfect and can be improved. To see other example of implentation can cut development time.

Thanks again...

SB
Old 28th May 2004, 11:52 PM   #14
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Not shure what you problem is with volume, but maybe you could benefit from knowing the position of it (and not only begin and end). Can be done with a bourns decoder attached to the volumepot-shaft.

Or build one with relays/resistors. Better quality... (havent done yet myself, only 'hearsay'.
Old 29th May 2004, 01:47 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Reguarding the motorized motor volume, I tought about this problem for some time. Most commercial product that are using this type of control don't have any kind of pot read back. The pot used has a clutch mounted on the motor gear box. The volume is turn down at start up, then usually a led or a color mark on the volume knob indicate the volume position to the user. Then you adjust the volume by ear...

When my preamp turn on, the pot is activated for a period long enough to turn it down from full max. The pot's clutch let the motor turn even if the pot is at minimum. Then I simply activate the up/down line for as long as requested.

One way to detect the Min/Max position is to sense the motor current. It increases by a significant margin when the motor pot hits the stop. But I found this to be unnecessary complexity in this application.

The mute function can be implemented by shorting the preamp output to gnd (if the preamp output circuit can live with it) or by opening the output, all with a relay.
Old 29th May 2004, 01:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Starting point

Algar_emi,
Sorry but, I do not remember you ever asking me for the schematic/source code???

As far as my preamp is concerned, I never actually committed digital section of the schematic to paper but, it is realatively simple and for the sake of enabling other people to extend upon the basic design, am willing to try. As a starting point, here is the by far the most difficult part of the the thing to figure out - the source code
Enjoy -ALBQ
Attached Files
File Type: txt linestage.txt (6.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 30th May 2004, 04:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the code. Interesting reading. It will be easier to decode with the hardware schematic.

If you can provide me with a hand drawing, even something done fast, I can post a nice cad version for you and the rest of the members. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2004, 06:25 AM   #18
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
So how are things going with this.. I got my lcd from Elkaid. and will be starting my project pretty quick here. Going to order some parts next week all the psu parts and some other goodies..
Old 30th May 2004, 01:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Will try and work on it

Algar_emi,
I will try and work on it over the weekend. I am a bit busy today and tomorrow but, will try to get something something draw - will need to pop the cover on my preamp as its been a while =^)

Just with the source code, you should be able to get the IR decode and display working - as well as be able to toggle the condition of the output pins. The IR detector connects directly to the stamp (the detector has 38khz filter build in) and the display routine should drive any serial LCD (many need to adjust biginning/end of each line and baud). Rest of the pins are used for outputs and are simply toggled or held high/low
Cheers -ALBQ

PS. I have always planned to revise the design. Once you get your breadboarded version up an running, we should talk about the ideas/changes I did not get around to implementing - Audio projects are like movies, they are never really done. Its just that the director stopped working on it
Old 31st May 2004, 02:31 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Yes, that is a good idea. I'm very busy myself all summer. My audio projects usually go ahead when the weather turns cold outside. We'll see what we can do.

Hide this!Advertise here!