New Doug Self pre-amp design... - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2012, 05:57 PM   #561
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtharper View Post
I have determined that no 1k stereo (dual gang) linear pots with a .5w power rating exist affordably in north america. omeg has no dealers that i can find, vishays at newark are only available from farnell for a $50 shipping charge. no one has the bournes pots in stock. alps doesn't make 1k. man oh man. i am frustrated!
Yeah. It's a real bummer. I just bit the bullet and ordered mine from Farnell along with other components. At least the shipping was spread out over some of the other parts I needed. But in the end, this project will be expensive and hopefully worth it.
Old 29th August 2012, 06:05 PM   #562
diyAudio Member

A question for the group here. I have been reading through this thread and I am wondering where I can get a copy of the schematic for this pre-amp, and also where one could procure a board to build one of these devices? I am trying to figure out which volumes of the Linear journals I would have to purchase to get the entire article and not just pieces. If Doug Self is reading this thread are you going to print another book and include all of this information in one place or is it already in your previous book on small signal devices? I would love to get in on building this and learning what is going on here and have no problems with 5532 chips or whatever is found to do the job.

Steven
Old 29th August 2012, 06:44 PM   #563
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Steven -

The 3-part series of articles including all PCBs has been written up in several recent issues of Elektor magazine. Starting with the April 2012 issue. The first such article started here. If you are a not a subscriber, you can download the articles and parts list for a few bucks I believe. There are 6/7 different boards required for the full project. Gathering all the parts may take some time, but don't let that deter you. Newark/Farnell has most parts in stock, although the 1k pots generally have to be back ordered and are pricey. The PCBs themselves can be ordered directly from Elektor.

Personally, I have all the boards completed, but untested as I am waiting for a suitable enclosure before completing all the required internal wiring and ribbon cable requirements. It's unclear at this point whether Elektor will offer a nice, high-quality case. I'm hoping they do.

Rick
Old 29th August 2012, 07:01 PM   #564
diyAudio Member

Rick,
Thank you for that information. No I am not a subscriber but perhaps I should be? I see the link to the boards on that first page and there are it seems seven boards that need to be used for the complete preamp design. Is there a reason besides offering each board as a stand alone circuit that there is not a monolithic board with everything on a single board? Would that have any advantage to not having to string all the boards together with ribbon cables and are you better off using twisted pairs of wires in some of these interconnections rather than a ribbon cable and the parallel wires and inductive problems this could have? The magazine as single copies does not seem overpriced, I assume that a yearly subscription is much cheaper than individual issues.

Again thank you for the information.

Steven

ps. has there been any thought to a group purchase for those 1k pots rather than one at a time at the maximum price?
Old 29th August 2012, 07:06 PM   #565
diyAudio Member

Also it would appear that the 2sa1085e stock situation across all the usual suspects has dried up. paying $5 per transistor on ebay really stinks.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:12 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
For balance, I usually have one of the servants stand in front of the louder channel's speaker.
So I guess if you use tone defeat you nail the servant in a fixed position?

Last edited by Nico Ras; 29th August 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:14 PM   #567
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
ps. has there been any thought to a group purchase for those 1k pots rather than one at a time at the maximum price?
I have an RFQ in with omeg to see what i will cost to get some on this side of the pond.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:28 PM   #568
diyAudio Member

dtharper,
From that description I am going to assume you are in England or across the sea....

Another question then. I was looking at the view of the PC boards and correct me if I am wrong, but are the boards created for all surface mount components? I see no holes and the spacing would lead me to that conclusion. Care to elucidate on that? I have never built anything with surface mount devices, looks a bit harder to accomplish without making a mess of it....
Old 29th August 2012, 07:29 PM   #569
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
dtharper,
From that description I am going to assume you are in England or across the sea....
canadian so across the sea

the project is all through hole.

Last edited by dtharper; 29th August 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:29 PM   #570
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
So I guess if you use tone defeat you nail the servant in a fixed position?
That would be barbaric! I use cyanoacrylate and duct tape.

Hide this!Advertise here!