New Doug Self pre-amp design... - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2012, 10:09 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Jan, you know that in the FPS i use 2 x 4 NE5534A in parallel symmetric inverted. That way i get very low distortion, low noise and tremendoes current drive.
One advantage of the NE over the LME is that it has 1/4th of the current noise. That can be important when you use it at impedances over 1kOhm for example an MM input. There it beats the LME in noise but not used as an MC input where the LME is better but not optimum. There you need AD797, LME49990 or such. There is VOLTAGE and there is CURRENT noise.
Good points Joachim.
What I meant with an earlier post, and what you are also saying, is that you should select your devices with the application and use in the circuit in mind.
For that, you need to read the article (any article) and understand the author's reasoning.
It is possible that you put more weight to one issue or another and that you make a different choice, but it's hard NOT to learn from other's ideas.

jan
Old 18th March 2012, 08:37 PM   #42
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post

Yes it is. ( This could go on ad infinitum )
Hi,

Tedious but I'll bite the bullet. Why don't you suggest alternatiive op-amps
that "should" be better in this design and reasonably justify your opinion.

rgds, sreten.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:10 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I could only suggest opamps that sound better if I actually built the design and listened to different opamps. I have no need of a preamp so that'll never happen.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:24 AM   #44
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Don't like the turnover points selected on the tone control circuits . I would prefer 50 hz instead of 100 currently used for the bass, 12 k. Instead of 10k for the highs .

10k is somewhat acceptable , the 100 hz is completely useless and while I favor full discrete designs, Im not against IC arrangements , especially since it allows one to op-amp roll , good when wanting play around with different opamps.

Last edited by a.wayne; 19th March 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:29 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I really like the circuit design. But then again I like the good'ol NE5532. It's a great part! But the published PCB layout could definitely be improved.
Old 19th March 2012, 06:15 AM   #46
gannaji is offline gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Don't like the turnover points selected on the tone control circuits . I would prefer 50 hz instead of 100 currently used for the bass, 12 k. Instead of 10k for the highs .

10k is somewhat acceptable , the 100 hz is completely useless and while I favor full discrete designs, Im not against IC arrangements , especially since it allows one to op-amp roll , good when wanting play around with different opamps.
Will you kindly explain why you prefer those values?
Old 19th March 2012, 04:04 PM   #47
hags is offline hags  United States
diyAudio Member

I see why designs by Curl, Pass, Hansen, et al, sell and designs by D. Self are found mostly in books and magazines.
Old 19th March 2012, 04:40 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

a.wayne wants to turn up the bass at 50hz, not the boom at 100hz.
7k to 10k treble boost is raspy, above this, such as ~12k is airy.
Ears (and many speakers) have the least performance at the farthest extents of the audio band, so if the tone controls have a limited number of selections, it would be good to do the most important things first. . . otherwise the tone controls could be really unimportant, and possibly counterproductive.

Well, it all depends on what you want. Doug Self's tone controls look like they're meant to be dialed down for LP rumble and hiss filter, not dialed up for ear contour.
Old 19th March 2012, 04:57 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hags View Post
I see why designs by Curl, Pass, Hansen, et al, sell and designs by D. Self are found mostly in books and magazines.
Actually, I'm sure Self's designs sell quite well, it's just that his name is not on them ;-)

jan
Old 19th March 2012, 05:41 PM   #50
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hags View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
a.wayne wants to turn up the bass at 50hz, not the boom at 100hz.
7k to 10k treble boost is raspy, above this, such as ~12k is airy.
Ears (and many speakers) have the least performance at the farthest extents of the audio band, so if the tone controls have a limited number of selections, it would be good to do the most important things first. . . otherwise the tone controls could be really unimportant, and possibly counterproductive.

Well, it all depends on what you want. Doug Self's tone controls look like they're meant to be dialed down for LP rumble and hiss filter, not dialed up for ear contour.
Good response ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Actually, I'm sure Self's designs sell quite well, it's just that his name is not on them ;-)

jan

Jan,

Could you name a few....?

Hide this!Advertise here!